109 E-3 Completed

On 9/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, chrish said:

The flexible plastic wheel bay liners were quite warped but by fitting the top part and clamping the wing halves together and manipulating the lower joint with long thin blades and scribers I was able to get a mostly acceptable fit.

Enough whining...

Thanks for looking

I've got the same problem with my kit, one of the liners is crushed really bad out of shape, but the other one looks more or less OK.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the encouragement! ...You don't know how much I appreciate the encouragement!!

I shot the model with Vallejo aluminum mixed with a drop of gun metal to darken it a bit then chipping medium (where I wanted to chip it) then Vallejo RLM 02 I masked that off for the RLM 71 using Tamiya for that one, while lifting the masking tape I got fairly large chunks of RLM 02 with it, not everywhere and oddly, not where the chipping medium was. I sanded the model down in the bad spots (kind of blending it in) and re-painted it with Tamiya RLM 02 (hence the various shades of RLM 02) But I miss-masked a wing and painted over the RLM 71 creating a need to re-re-paint again. This time I shot the RLM 71 and got overspray on the other wing...I almost dropped the model in the garbage and moved on to the next project! 

After all this farting around I loaded 2 airbrushes, one with RLM 02, the other with RLM 71 and spot masked and spot shot the model until I'd fixed most of my errors, cleaned out the airbrushes and realized I'd completely missed the cowls! I did try some paint chipping though.

Tomorrow is another day.

X75bVCp.jpg

qBx07fC.jpg

Edited by chrish
typo

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

That's when I would be crackin' open a fresh one  :rolleyes:

j0j903N.jpg

Did you cut your own canopy masks ?

Considering binning it yep!

and I did cut my own canopy masks....can you tell!? 

Thank you very kindly!

Every time I think I've got clear skies ahead it throws me another curve. But I think I may finally be over the hump...maybe.

Gloss clear and Decals next I think

I need to tone down the spots (looks much worse in the dammed pictures)

To429OX.jpg

qbwn9wd.jpg

CmSjipd.jpg

Thanks for looking

• chrish changed the title to 109 E-3 Completed

Well....not the best E-3 you'll ever see that's for sure. But it's on the wall ready to collect dust with the rest of my display pieces, which, ironically are nowhere near anywhere they could be seen or displayed.

I put it on a small display board with some shrapnel and spare parts laying around:

i4Uqur6.jpg

t1QYoiZ.jpg

PEor1m6.jpg

bxMONVx.jpg

QwFNHhD.jpg

BePAsDK.jpg

Thanks for stopping by