Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, fellas. I've been quietly chipping away at this one, with a little bit of success here and a little bit of failure there. Such is modelling. My first task was to finish off the cockpit by getting the instrument panel installed:

CGsz0n.jpg

Apologies for the sanding dust, which I didn't even notice until editing the photos. Thanks, eyes! I've cleaned it all off now.

While waiting for that to become secure, I turned my attention to the engine. I assembled it, gave it a quick squirt of Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black, drybrushed the cylinders with Humbrol Polished Aluminium, and then painted to rod thingies white:

IgJQWJ.jpg

It's hopefully only going to be visible through the ports in the front of the cowling, hence the rough-n-ready paint job. I did briefly toy with the idea of opening up the engine bay, but figured I already have enough challenges with this build!

Next step was to clean up the exhaust piece and drill out the end:

NuNlX3.jpg

Back to the fuselage, and I wasn't happy with how flimsy the lower join was feeling, so I added some sheet styrene to reinforce it:

corrGc.jpg

And here's the bit I'm really not happy with. I spent ages cleaning up and painting the stretcher bed and housing, but just couldn't get it to look good:

LO1oq5.jpg

I did replace the tiny little upright supports with guitar string, but this was a mistake, and I made a bit of a mess of it. Guitar strings can be great for stiff wires and cables on models, but is very difficult to cut cleanly to exact lengths, and I really should have stuck with styrene rod for this task. Because of how ordinary this looks, I'm now veering back to the idea of leaving the canopy hood closed to minimise its exposure. I've been holding off cutting open the vac canopy piece for exactly this reason.

In test-fitting the hood to the fuselage, it became clear that without a spine to add rigidity, the fuselage sides had spread slightly, and would need to be pushed in to meet the resin hood piece. But the undercut in the resin is wider than the fuselage is thick, so I added a couple of spaces to keep the alignment where I wanted it:

IxE5Vc.jpg

rJCAXT.jpg

Once glued and clamped up, it'll be fine - which is my next task!

TElrmD.jpg

Looks weird, eh?

Kev

4 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Doing great on this, Kev!   BTW, what brand of paint are you using for Foliage Green?

Cheers,

Damian

Thanks, Damian. I'm using Foliage Green from a local brand called SMS:

https://www.scalemodeller.com.au/products/premium-foliage-green-30ml?_pos=1&_sid=998fa110c&_ss=r

I'm pretty sure they have some distribution in the US now.

Kev

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

And here's the bit I'm really not happy with. I spent ages cleaning up and painting the stretcher bed and housing, but just couldn't get it to look good:

LO1oq5.jpg

I did replace the tiny little upright supports with guitar string, but this was a mistake, and I made a bit of a mess of it. Guitar strings can be great for stiff wires and cables on models, but is very difficult to cut cleanly to exact lengths, and I really should have stuck with styrene rod for this task. Because of how ordinary this looks, I'm now veering back to the idea of leaving the canopy hood closed to minimise its exposure. I've been holding off cutting open the vac canopy piece for exactly this reason.

Just a suggestion about the piano wire, mark the locations of the supports on the top of the litter, remove the existing wire and then drill through the litter into the base below. insert the wire from the top and cut flush.

1 minute ago, Nessus said:

Just a suggestion about the piano wire, mark the locations of the supports on the top of the litter, remove the existing wire and then drill through the litter into the base below. insert the wire from the top and cut flush.

That's exactly what I did. The problems with this approach turned out to be many, but mainly due to not being able to cut the guitar string flush, cleanly, or to the length required. Subsequent attempts to file them down only caused undulations in the surrounding resin, which now looks dreadful up close. Other issues were caused by my drill bit wandering and causing the resin to splinter (due to there not being a whole lot of margin for error), giving rise to messy repairs and crooked placement. This approach would have worked much better with standard styrene rod; even brass rod would have been a better choice, but definitely styrene if there's ever a next time. But that's the beauty of a project like this: what you learn on the journey is more valuable than what awaits you at its destination.

Kev

I also need to thank you for chiming in and offering your advice, Brendan, which I rudely neglected to do in my initial response. I certainly didn't mean to sound churlish - just frustrated! If anybody knows of a tool that can cut steel guitar strings cleanly and accurately, please let me know! I have a Xuron tool that will cut them cleanly enough, but not with any precision (the tool's 'cutting' blades are in the order of 3mm thick, so you have to have at least that much clearance around your cutting point to make the cut at all).

Kev

Welcome to the world of creative 'fettllng' Kev! :) 

Every set back is an opportunity to enrich your experience locker a little more, as you have to be inventive and creative in order to correct it (and there are several ways of achieving it - this is one of the beauties of our hobby).

Your model is is an unusual choice and will look really good when completed - keep up the good work Kev.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Another great update Kev....I cant see your dust...LOL I am paranoid now at what I am missing on my own photo's.

Those 'tube thingys' are the pushrod tubes, I have a Gipsy Major sitting in my Garage dripping oil (which is good) that I was going to offer to take pics of for you, but you are correct, you have enough on your plate and I dont want to sidetrack you!  What you have done will look perfect behind the nose cooling duct.

Keep up the great work!

20 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

If anybody knows of a tool that can cut steel guitar strings cleanly and accurately, please let me know! 

Kev

Hi Kev - I use a dremel and a slitting disc for a surgical cut on guitar strings - works a treat

Great job on the cockpit by the way :)

Peter