Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

Excellent Kev, so glad to see you still working on this one. I agree the dihedral looks just fine! It’s a simple plane to rig though from memory Eric uses accurate looking Gaspatch turnbuckles which he heats up and embeds in the plastic......I’ve copied this method and it’s tricky. The real problem comes however when you come to attach the thread to the turnbuckle; there is so little surface area on the latter for adhesion. I may be way off beam here because it’s some time ago that I read Eric’s build but I think he tied a small knot at the end of each thread? Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm back with a rare update! Just a smidge forward, however. I plugged the oversized gaps in the upper wing joins with Apoxie Sculpt:

frKE5Y.jpg

WXI9mn.jpg

This next bit had me sweating for a while, but thanks to a template that Max supplied me with (thanks, Max!), I was able to get the metal plate thingy over the vertical fin sorted:

i6L3V2.jpg

Actually, I have to confess that I'm not completely happy with it. Max used lead foil for his, whereas I opted for self-adhesive aluminium plumbing tape. I thought it would give a better scale thickness, but it's rather soft, and seems to show creases and folds everywhere, so I'm not sure if I'll keep it, or rip it off and try some pewter foil that I have. I think I'll give it a coat of Mr. Surfacer and make a decision after that, as it's difficult to see what's what in the shiny aluminium.

I guess I have to start drilling holes for the rigging next! Man have I been putting that off...

Kev