Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

Now that's the story!  Really coming along well now Kev.  That oil tank came up lovely as did those fasteners (you are being too hard on yourself with them, they look awesome!)

We always see our own mistakes, but to the observer, it looks cracking....really it does.

Love each update mate, keep up the great work

Yep, I’m 100% in agreement with Anthony, the detailing you’re adding is spot on, especially those latches! I seem to remember the “keystone” of the cowl/panel assembly is the top panel. I got that in place then hung everything from that. Enjoying your build immensely Kev, take solace in the knowledge that it’s character forming! :coolio:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, fellas. I feel like I'm aiming for Beauty and ending up with The Beast, so it's encouraging that you fellas don't think it's too bad. I've already had to replace one of the latches, however, as I knocked off the flat tabbed piece, and it was easier just to remove the old one and make a new one. Wrestling the remaining cowl panels comes next. Does anybody know if it's possible to add the exhaust piece after the panels are in place?

Kev

Apologies for my absence,  I am struggling to keep up with everything at the moment.  Great work Kev especially considering your spatial issue too, those latches look fantastic, i seem to recall having to make some sort of mod to get the engine to sit properly and I did add the exhaust at the end of my bid, but I did have the engine cowling panel open so that made this easier.

You are doing a cracking job 

Chris

Thanks, Chris - and no need to apologise! I'm pleased to report that I've made some pretty good progress with making the panels fit - trimming here and shimming there. The main offender on the port side is pretty close now, and the starboard panel is not far behind. I just have to adjust them so that the top piece sits evenly upon them. I'll post photos in the next update!

Kev

Rockie, Matt, and Dennis: many thanks, my friends! I'm back to report on my progress with the cowling panels, and I'm pretty happy with where they're at, now. The initial tape-up was not encouraging:

lXXUAZ.jpg

The gaps are exaggerated in the photo above due the alignment along the bottom edge being out - but not by much! The other side was much better:

kqZkOD.jpg

Here you can see that problem is with where the upper section meets the side panel. Lots of trimming and shimming required! Here's the result of the initial work:

KoraEz.jpg

t8JQAa.jpg

Better, but we're not there yet! After a couple more rounds filing and shaping, I finally arrived at a workable result:

ozFmNH.jpg

PZFUas.jpg

You can see that I've also added piano hinges from stretched sprue, and turned brass venturi pipes from Profimodeller. These photos also give away the source of the panel fit problem: the engine is mounted in a position that is too nose-high. So now the thrust line is wrong, but I can live with that. I just need to add back the little nubbin on the forward latch detail, which was a casualty of the filing and sanding process.

And finally, here's a close-up of the Profimodeller venturi tube:

PYLMPu.jpg

So much better than the kit part!

I guess now I have to figure out I'm going to fix the dihedral on the lower wings...

Kev

A good result Kev, well done! I must admit I haven’t encountered fit problems like that with my Matchbox Tiger Moths, it’s a tricky area for sure, but I don’t fully understand how you’ve come to have these issues. Sorted now anyway! I’m not convinced with Profimodeller’s venturi tubes I’m afraid, they look too long especially the forward section where it narrows. :blink:

Good luck with the wings!! :unsure:

Edited by mozart

15 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Remarkable work, I admire your ability to tackle and solve problems :bow: - wish I had a bit of that !

Lothar

Thanks, Lothar! Sadly, they're mostly problems of my own making, however.

Kev