Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

7 hours ago, Derek B said:

This is why Iain and I colour the edges of our transparencies with either a black marker or paint first, but that is not exactly what you want to hear right now!

Yeah, I know - but unfortunately that wouldn't have helped in this instance, as there's nowhere useful to run the black marker. I think the only thing that would have helped would have been to pre-paint the styrene strips with Foliage Green, but that wouldn't really have been practical.

The plan at the moment is to get the fixed section attached to the fuselage, and then see if I can't widen a couple of the problem frames to hide the issue a little better. I'm going to wait until it's on the model to do that, because for some reason the SMS Foliage Green I'm using is not standing up to very much handling, so using the fuselage to hold the canopy while I work on it should alleviate that.

Kev

Really very well done Kev! Great update, and I feel for you on the exposed white parts of the framing.

In the past I have experimented with dyes. I've used (to good effect) a specific dye meant to dye white PVV piping. I realize it's not the same material, but I wonde if it would work on styrene. :hmmm:

the more I think about it, that could be problematic, as matching the dye would be hard.......unless it dyed resin and IM plastic too and you could dye everything you needed at once. 

Sorry, just contemplating things in my head

Thanks for trying to help, Brian - and for the kind words. The issue is that the exposed white areas are not actually exposed - they're 'encased' in a groove in the clear vac plastic, and are no longer accessible from the outside, but still visible through the clear plastic. My only hope is to widen the external frames slightly to help cover them more, but at certain angles they will always be visible.

Kev

I'm pleased to report that I've made some minor adjustments to the painting of the frames on the windscreen, and it's actually looking much better - to the naked eye, anyway. The hi-res macro photos often tell a different story, but I'm sure I can live with whatever they show me.

Kev

13 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Yeah, I know - but unfortunately that wouldn't have helped in this instance, as there's nowhere useful to run the black marker. I think the only thing that would have helped would have been to pre-paint the styrene strips with Foliage Green, but that wouldn't really have been practical.

The plan at the moment is to get the fixed section attached to the fuselage, and then see if I can't widen a couple of the problem frames to hide the issue a little better. I'm going to wait until it's on the model to do that, because for some reason the SMS Foliage Green I'm using is not standing up to very much handling, so using the fuselage to hold the canopy while I work on it should alleviate that.

Kev

This is tough one Kev with no real or obvious answer (other than perhaps attempting to remove the external framing, followed by, carefully, the transparencies, painting the inside edges of the internal framing then rebuilding the whole thing!). Good luck with whatever solution you may opt for.

Regards

Derek

26 minutes ago, Derek B said:

This is tough one Kev with no real or obvious answer (other than perhaps attempting to remove the external framing, followed by, carefully, the transparencies, painting the inside edges of the internal framing then rebuilding the whole thing!). Good luck with whatever solution you may opt for.

Regards

Derek

Nothing so complicated, Derek! I just painted the problem frames a little thicker, and that's done a great job of disguising them to my satisfaction (with reference to my aforementioned naked-eye caveat).

Seat belts next!

Kev

1 minute ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nothing so complicated, Derek! I just painted the problem frames a little thicker, and that's done a great job of disguising them to my satisfaction (with reference to my aforementioned naked-eye caveat).

Seat belts next!

Kev

Good recovery Kev! :thumbsup:

Derek

So, I'm back with another small update - one in which I get to basically declare the cockpit done! Here are my token seat belts, built from the previously-shown Model Technologies photo-etch set:

6HKVwb.jpg

I attached them behind the seat with some random spare photo-etch pieces that looked like they might be convincing. I'll probably add a wash to that area, and tidy it up a bit, as it's a bit of a mess after my fumbling attempts to anchor the shoulder straps in place!

The photo below shows a loose dry-fit of the fixed canopy section:

AxCoUq.jpg

Looks a little gappy here, but it'll be all right on the night.

Kev