Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

I'm still waiting for some stuff to arrive in the post for this one, so have stalled a little bit. I need to get back to it and finish detailing the cockpit, but I'm not especially happy with my work so far. Still, it will look substantially better than the kit offering, so I'll take that.

Kev

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Kev, that seat and tailfeathers updates are awesome mate.  In fact, this is a top notch build so far of an incredible subject....keep it up!

Anthony’s absolutely right Kev, you’ve no reason not to be happy with what you’ve done so far. It’s very solid, well constructed progress so just keep on going on! :clap2:

4 minutes ago, mozart said:

Anthony’s absolutely right Kev, you’ve no reason not to be happy with what you’ve done so far. It’s very solid, well constructed progress so just keep on going on! :clap2:

Ah, but you haven't seen the cockpit yet! I really went about detailing it with the wrong approach, and should have done what Alain is doing - follow his example, not mine! Instead, I tried to use the weird seat plinth piece from the kit and build around it. It would have been much better to do rip it all out and start completely from scratch like Alain did. Still, I think I'll mostly get away with it.

Hopefully an update with photos soon.

Kev

I can’t imagine too much of the control box will be visible in your build Kev, so as long as the front seat is right (check) and the joystick is in the right place (check) all will be fine! Regarding the slat lever, I know the RAAF made several changes to de Havilland’s design when they started building Tiger Moths under licence, including the slats but I can’t recall exactly what, I’ll check. 

Thanks for your various comments, fellas. It's very slow work at the moment, as I find myself making and remaking detail parts, and trying to figure out the best way forward without snookering myself.

While I was making the seat, I also made a new control column, since the kit ones are a joke:

mEjtqg.jpg

Most of the rest of my time has been spent on detailing the cockpit, and it's a bit of a mess, really:

CqFRkL.jpg

Apart from some airscale photo-etched levers and a bezel piece, it's all scratch-built, and based on what I could glean from various photos. You can see that my decision to try to combine new detail with existing kit parts has resulted in a less-than satisfactory Frankenstein effect, but I'm hoping it'll pass muster under some paint.

zdvNQm.jpg

The perfectionist in me wants to rip it all out and start again, while the pragmatist in me knows it'll be all right on the night. In reality, most of the grungy bits won't be noticeable inside the painted cockpit, and it's all a learning experience anyway.

Next step is to get some primer in there so I can see exactly what I'm dealing with, and if there are no glaring issues, it's on to the painting stage. I need to add a few more cable runs once the seat is in place, which will be tricky!

Kev

Keep at it, Kev.  If you're anything like me, you are your own worst critic as well as doubting your own abilities, which is some of the struggle I'm also having with my P-40.  I think what you've done so far looks good.

I'm sure it will look good in the end, with a little more work and after painting.  Always remember - paint covers a multitude of sins :lol:

Cheers,

Michael