Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

6 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I like the compass! Actually I like your whole panel, but particularly the compass. Is that AM, or your own effort? I'm going to need two of those for my Wirraway build...

How’s the Wirraway progressing Derek? I enjoyed seeing the ones at the AWM and Moorabbin, scary to think that was a year ago and what changes to the world since!  Enough procrastination from me, I need to get on with my own Tiger Moth in the Trainers GB! 

52 minutes ago, DerekB said:

I like the compass! Actually I like your whole panel, but particularly the compass. Is that AM, or your own effort? I'm going to need two of those for my Wirraway build...

Hi Derek,

The entire panel is scratch-built, including the compass - though I can't take credit for airscale's dial & placard decals, or photo-etch bezels. Not sure how I would have tackled this panel without them! The compass is built up from punched discs, an idea I got from @VW Chris 1969 I believe. I meant to do a better job of removing the seams between the discs, but I found it impossibly small to sand. In the end, I think the seams provide some nice visual detail and texture, even if they weren't there in real life. The compass face is a decal from the airscale sheet, and I added a small generic placard on the body from Bare Metal Foil (which I've since painted over with flat clear to tone it down a bit).

Kev

Apologies for the delay fellas, but I'm finally back with another update - albeit a brief one. I've been slaving away over a replacement front seat, which in most Tiger Moths is radically different from what is supplied in the kit. I took my queue from both Max's and Chris's builds, but it turned out to be a much more difficult task than I had imagined, and it didn't help that I took probably the least clever path to get there. But get there I did, and after several days' work, this is what I was able to churn out:

rYEaY2.jpg

dsevAZ.jpg

The heavily primered surface needs a bit of a polish, but it'll be ready for paint after that. I've included a bracket for the cockpit fire extinguisher, and new well for the control column. It looks a little rough, mainly because it is, but remember that the photo shows it at 2-3 times actual size, so it should look sufficient once painted, weathered, and in situ. Fire extinguisher and control column coming soon.

Earlier, I'd also done some work on preparing the tail surfaces, and again basically just copied what Max had done. I started by thinning the relevant control horns:

uCQW4r.jpg

Thinned on the right, stock on the left. I separated the fin and rudder, too:

Ee6k9K.jpg

Again, control horns thinned, blended in, and rigging holes pre-drilled. Contemplating adding attachment bolt heads for additional detail, but this stuff really tests my struggling eyesight!

I also modified the horizontal tail surfaces in line with Max's work, drooping the elevators slightly:

WrtSgj.jpg

Control horns are suitably thinned, but still need some work to blend them in fully.

More (hopefully) soon!

Kev

20 minutes ago, mozart said:

That all looks very good indeed Kev, I like it a lot! The seat is really impressive, what route did you take to achieve it? 

The stupid one! I was able to get the basic sloping frame sorted out by using a head-on photo as a template, and manipulating it into the correct perspective. I sized it, printed it out, glued it to some styrene sheet, and then cut it out. The seat itself, though, had me going around in circles for a day or two - I just couldn't get any material to bend into the correct shape. In the end, I discovered that the kit's seat pan fit my frame pretty neatly, so I sawed off the back, glued it into place, and then formed the vertical portions by making a fence with styrene strip. This was then trimmed, and plenty of liquid cement applied to kind of mush them together a little. After that, it was hours of shaping and blending, along with 3 separate applications of epoxy putty that wouldn't cure!

Anyway, I got close enough in the end, and it was character-building, as they say.

Kev

1 hour ago, VW Chris 1969 said:

Are you adding the small eyelets for the eveator cables on the tops at the front of the horizontal stabilisers, i used Bob's Buckles eyelets for mine.

I will be. I'm just waiting on some Gaspatch units to arrive in the mail. Even stuff I order from only a few suburbs away takes a week or more to get to me now.

Kev