Matchbox Tiger Moth RAAF Air Ambulance

LSP_Kevin

Hi Kev

Oooo this looks good and is a very interesting project. Good luck with your build and I  think tge opendd up side hinged canopy would certainly look great.are you opening the back too?  

It's a great kit and a bit of work can make it pop. 

Thank you @mozart (Max) for your kind words fella.  I am grateful for your support throughout the build. 

All the best

Chris 

Right, time for an update! I've spent most of the last 3 days scratch-building a replacement instrument panel, having already decided to go to town in the cockpit. And yes, I did check to see if there were any aftermarket options available, first! Sadly, not to be. In fact, apart from the odd decal sheet, there's virtually no dedicated aftermarket for this kit at all.

I elected to go with the tried-and-true 'sandwich' method, whereby you sandwich a sheet of acetate (or other clear plastic) between a back plate and the instrument panel itself.

Here's the result:

9AWxAc.jpg

I'll let you guys figure out which is the kit part. Remember, this is several times larger than the actual item!

8QRvcj.jpg

I relied heavily on the wondrous gift to superdetailers and scratch-builders that is airscale's range of decals and photo-etch sets. I did set out describing how I built this in some detail, but started to bore even myself, so if you have any questions, just sing out.

I've also been working on improvements to the empennage, and have started rebuilding the cockpit interior, but will leave that for another update.

Kev

7 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Very convincing, well done Kev :thumbsup:

Derek

Thanks, Derek! Given my faltering eyesight and wavering confidence after a layoff, I'm pretty happy with it. It's definitely not perfect, but infinitely better than what Matchbox would have you use. Sure, I could've dressed up the kit part, and both Max and Eric did that to pretty good effect, but I figured if I'm going all out, then I had to do better.

Kev

5 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Thanks, Derek! Given my faltering eyesight and wavering confidence after a layoff, I'm pretty happy with it. It's definitely not perfect, but infinitely better than what Matchbox would have you use. Sure, I could've dressed up the kit part, and both Max and Eric did that to pretty good effect, but I figured if I'm going all out, then I had to do better.

Kev

Your increase in modelling skills and self confidence will thank you for it! :)

Derek