A5M4 Claude Conversion to Two Seat Trainer

Rick Griewski

The one hole to two hole conversion is complete.  The canopies are miss matched; the rear one is a vac part that needs help.  I have the pattern so I will have to make another using thicker plastic.   The bulkhead/fin behind the instructors seat will be shaped to fit.

After really looking at period photos I will need to create top space in front of the instructor's cockpit.  The canopy will sit correctly and the instrument panel will fit correctly. The rear canopy should be the same height as the front canopy and just a bit shorter than the bulkhead/fin.  The other thing I noticed was that the roll over pylon looks like it was fairly crude and not an airfoil shape. It looks to be made of wood slabs with a hole so that the instructor can see through/under it.  See reference photo below.

pnKVZR47j

Edited by Rick Griewski
added pointer to pylon reference

Further study of the canopies and the kit revealed that the A5M2b donor kit includes two canopies.  One is what appears to be the A5M4 canopy and the other is for the A5M2b that i will use for the rear cockpit.  (See Maru Mechanic)  The hole in the rear canopy wind screen needs to be dealt with but overall using is will be better than the vac part.  The photo above actually shows the two kit canopies in place.