F/A-18 A+ Aggressor - Finished

Dukie99

• 3 months later...

Apologies, I did not post progress pictures but I steadily worked on that one and so I am in the home stretch. This is a wonderful kit but by no means an easy kit. I struggled with the seamless intakes and the construction is far from perfect but at least I am pretty happy with how the paint scheme turned out. I need to attach the flaps and ailerons and then next step will be gloss coat and decals. I can't wait to see the Russian star on this bad boy.

I hope you like the scheme.

i-p5bjMjH-XL.jpg

i-xWtdJtM-XL.jpg

i-zxn655z-L.jpg

i-54PKfTT-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

On 1/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, Dukie99 said:

Apologies, I did not post progress pictures but I steadily worked on that one and so I am in the home stretch. This is a wonderful kit but by no means an easy kit. I struggled with the seamless intakes and the construction is far from perfect but at least I am pretty happy with how the paint scheme turned out. I need to attach the flaps and ailerons and then next step will be gloss coat and decals. I can't wait to see the Russian star on this bad boy.

I hope you like the scheme.

i-p5bjMjH-XL.jpg

i-xWtdJtM-XL.jpg

i-zxn655z-L.jpg

i-54PKfTT-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

It makes me want to dust off my poor -18C Bug. It has been eating dust for the past ten years!

Getting there slowly but surely. Trying not to break or screw anything at this late stage.

Painted the resin wheels

i-xLTPMDg-L.jpg

Glued the flaps and ailerons and after a gloss coat applied the decals which needed to be aligned with the camouflage, which required first some additional masking and repainting but overall it works well.

i-fvw4QC3-L.jpg

I am applying Tamiya dark brown wash on the panel line and on some of the prominent rivets. On pictures this bird looks fairly pristine so I did not want to overdo it

i-mXTcMwN-L.jpg

The cockpit which still needs some work

i-4cvP6rF-L.jpg

Bottom of the aircraft and details of the wheel wells

i-7PjFNxN-L.jpg

i-PdsRZ6s-L.jpg

i-h23J9HC-L.jpg

Getting there. More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

• Dukie99 changed the title to F/A-18 A+ Aggressor - Finished
3 hours ago, Dukie99 said:

And I call this one done. Overall a very fine kit and a very enjoyable experience. I am actually thinking a building a C for the air superiority GB (in Swiss markings). We'll see.

Here are the pictures of the finished bird.

i-nBgGBhc-L.jpg

i-XjgNC3k-X2.jpg

i-B42Kjf8-L.jpg

i-kfD8KSk-L.jpg

i-tvNZKC9-L.jpg

i-SJtSXH8-L.jpgi-VSW7v4g-XL.jpg

Cheers,

David

Holy smokes! That is nice.

Wow great finish. Really love your paint work 

Curious what clear coat did you use before the tamiya wash? Wenever i use the tamiya wash i somehow always manage to go trought the clear coat while wiping it off

8 hours ago, Neo said:

Wow great finish. Really love your paint work 

Curious what clear coat did you use before the tamiya wash? Wenever i use the tamiya wash i somehow always manage to go trought the clear coat while wiping it off

Neo, thanks for the kind words. I used tamiya clear gloss mixed with gunze leveling thinner (40% clear gloss 60% thinner. I did really a pin wash removing the excess just after it gets dry, going slowly section by section. For the camo, I blown up the decal placement instruction to 1/32 scale and cut the shape and then reported them on kabuki tape. Works well for the flat surface of the wings, not so much for the round surface. I use massive amount of masking tape on this project.

cheers,

David