Special Hobby T-2 Buckeye

denders

• 3 weeks later...

Decals are on. All of 14. This particular paint scheme for this aircraft only has those decals. Also seen in reference photo on the internet. The other camo scheme for this particular aircraft has a few more decals but neither have and stencil data decals.

The decals are very thin and are ready to slide off after about 5 seconds in water. I should know better than to do decals in the morning after my morning coffee. :rolleyes: The hands are unsteady enough without the caffeine. :wacko: Two of them, not visible here, broke. :angry2: onward and upward.

cnWN9f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

An update. Some weathering but not as much as I would like to add. For one thing, the hands are not as steady as they used to be. Ah well, I'm still having fun. Need to put legs under it and a number of small bits that I'm preparing.

I need to get something arranged for better photos too.

TKipIQ.jpgkvYxfd.jpg

Well, I stood it on its legs and realized that it needs nose weight. :BANGHEAD2:

Fortunately there is that hole in the bottom of the nose where a clear piece goes which I haven't put in place yet. And fortunately a long time ago I purchased a bottle of powdered lead for weighting golf clubs. Now here's hoping that I ran enough superglue into it to hold all the powder in the nose. I temporarily taped some lead weight on top of the nose to get it to sit correctly and weighed that. And I guess it's a good thing that the better half has a small scale for weighing yarn. So I put ~10 grams in the nose.

I use "Liquid gravity" in places like that. This is fine lead shot ready for modellers. The bottle has a nozzle like a glue bottle, so it's easy to fill in the stuff.

Nice build! I like the soft edge and the "pastel colors" of your camo very much. Great paintjob!

Regards

- dutik

Thanks guys. 

Per google, #9 shot is 0.08" and putting the caliper across the part that goes in there it is 0.188" so #9 shot would work. I'll have to check it out.

I've seen Liquid Gravity mentioned somewhere before. I suspect what I have is very similar but the bottle doesn't have a nozzle like a glue bottle. I used a drinking straw to make a sort of funnel to get in the hole. And some thin superglue with one of those "wispy" nozzles that you can attach to the bottle.

Next is either flat or satin coat (want to double check the reference photos), remove the canopy masks, and add the small clear parts that remain.

13 hours ago, denders said:

Well, I'm going to consider this one done. It isn't perfect but I had fun and I like the camo scheme too. I do need to work on making a better background for photos and better lighting.

Isn´t it what building kits should be: having fun during building a kit and being proud of the completed model every time you look at it!

I think, you did a great job! 

Cheers - Reimund