DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

This will the first of what I hope will be two, perhaps three entries for the Trainers GB.  Ever since I received my Silver Wings Tiger Moths I've been impatiently waiting to build one, the review promises a cracking kit but I hope that what I wrote comes to fruition!

aAdG9n.jpg

Mine will be finished as a trainer of No. 28 Elementary Flying and Training School, Mount Hampden, Southern Rhodesia circa 1943:

A1geJE.jpg

The badge of the Rhodesian Air Training Group:

FrSkvZ.jpg

Edited by mozart

Thanks boys, I was hoping to make a start this afternoon but my Lightning lured me away.  But I did take another look at the picture Dad took from his cockpit and noticed something that had escaped me before now: no blind flying hood on her!  That helps a lot because I was banking on having to mould one.  I've looked at that picture countless times but never clocked that before! 

OK, about time I got my act together to start my Tiger Moth, though the "start" is a little underwhelming!  My first job with any Silver Wings kit is sorting, I need to know what is what and where it's going.  There are no "sprue shot" equivalents so it's a matter of dumping all the contents on a table, looking carefully at each bit, identifying it with the aid of the instructions (but again, no part numbers so it's a Mk 1 eyeball job) and bagging it up with associated bits:

gBxuTR.jpg

219O2p.jpg

There usually a "Miscellaneous bits" bag, but I think I've accounted for everything this time! :)

The next part is even more underwhelming, cleaning off resin flash. :wacko:

Major cleaning up done, still a little sanding in places.  Two noticeable factors; firstly the casting on the central trunking on the cockpit floor is incredibly thin, so I'll be "beefing" it up with some 10 thou card, and secondly I think Silver Wings have slightly miscalculated with the number of castings provided for the rudder pedals/control horns(?).  I've checked all three of my Tiger Moth kits and they all contain three such castings but there should be four - clearly four rudder pedals are needed and if they are elevator control horns then four there too.  It's no big issue, both are a few minutes work with some scrap plastic but for this model I've stolen one from another kit.

hzDuXg.jpg