DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

Indeed Brian, sticky wicket it surely is....and the bails could fall off at any time!  Some progress, all just trial fitted but not glued:

wf21Dr.jpg

Two supporting struts at the front to be fitted and two smaller ones at the back.

I took this pic and flipped it to give me some idea if the rake angle is anywhere near right:

dcVl6z.jpg

Getting there slowly.  Much as I love Tiger Moths, I shall be so pleased to see this completed!  It's driving me :frantic:

Edited by mozart

18 minutes ago, VW Chris 1969 said:

Great work Max phew!!! Looks wonderful. How are the wings holding up?

Hope you and yours and the other LSP'ers have a Merry and safe Christmas. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, and the same to you my friend. The whole structure is now very solid so no further worries on that front. Hoping to get some decent modelling time after Boxing Day and perhaps get this done by the New Year! 

Well it's clearly a Tiger Moth, but oh......that dihedral.......:crying:I must add it looks worse in these photos than sitting on the bench though.

cANqA7.jpg

OKkon0.jpg

8SGPgA.jpg

I'm so glad the undercarriage is finished, fiddly or what, though I did make life a little more difficult for myself by adding a few extra nuts and bolts on the centre "X" section.  Getting nearer though still quite a lot of detail stuff to do.

Hi Max,

Catching up now. Stunning work so far :goodjob:!

As usual, amazing attention to detail.

One question, where dit you source the nuts and bolts for the undercarriage?

I need some for my Fuji too.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter, I’m pleased with the build of the kit but not the outcome! I wince every time I look at it, so disappointed but entirely my fault. When I build the other one I’ll start with the upper wing/fuel tank assembly and make sure that dihedral is right because, as with the Hawker Fury I’m building, the rest of the construction and look depends on that. Live and learn!

The nuts and bolts are by Meng, I bought some sheets years ago and still using them.

http://www.meng-model.com/en/channels/81_3.html They really do make a difference on some builds. My sheets go from 0.8mm up to 1.4mm, bolt heads on one side, nuts and bolt end on the other.  I'm guessing this would be one of the "small" sets that Meng do.

Edited by mozart

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Peter, I’m pleased with the build of the kit but not the outcome! I wince every time I look at it, so disappointed but entirely my fault. When I build the other one I’ll start with the upper wing/fuel tank assembly and make sure that dihedral is right because, as with the Hawker Fury I’m building, the rest of the construction and look depends on that. Live and learn!

The nuts and bolts are by Meng, I bought some sheets years ago and still using them.

http://www.meng-model.com/en/channels/81_3.html They really do make a difference on some builds. My sheets go from 0.8mm up to 1.4mm, bolt heads on one side, nuts and bolt end on the other.  I'm guessing this would be one of the "small" sets that Meng do.

Thanks for the  link, Max, I will order several sizes, after looking around who has them in stock.

The big yellow H has some of them in stock, but shipping to Holland might be an issue, in spite of the recent deal with Europe. ;)

Like you say, stuff like this can make a difference on a model and sheets like that last for years.

I can imagine you wince at the dihedral, you're always your own worst critic!

Well like you say: Live and learn and the ICM version should be a breeze.

Most probably there will be one in my future as well. :P

Cheers,

Peter

It does look lovely Max in the all over yellow.  Great work fella.  I am in two minds whether to get an ICM one or not as am waiting for the Special Hobby Whirlwind  so poss won't otherwise may not be in SWMBO good books and I don't have enough brownie points to counter!!!

Happy New Year to you and the other LSP'ers.  Hope you can stay safe.

Chris