DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

Getting to the point where the struts and top wing goes on, but before then some painting whilst all the areas are easily accessible. One problem on the Tiger Moth I'm doing is the "35" on the fuselage, the style was fairly unique in my experience:

A1geJE.jpg

So I decided to try using the picture to get some guidelines laid down to ease design on the Silhouette cutter:

5NqjOr.png

which I then gradually adapted over a series of steps:

Td9LiQ.png

The top section of the "3" was copied and flipped to make the lower part, it also formed the bottom section of the "5" for gradual change:

1pVZbK.png

DOTohy.png

and before too long (well, it was an hour or two to be honest!):

JJq0q4.png

Edited by mozart

Cheers Andy, I’ve got so many possible contenders for aircraft used as trainers that I could keep going for a long time. I was looking at my Hawker Fury I that will probably appear in the Air Superiority GB and noticed one of the marking options for that is for RAF Cranwell. Spoilt for choice! :D

I'm at the stage with the Tiger Moth where I'm doing lots of "little" jobs which are time consuming but don't show much in terms of progress!  But the "35" is on.  No idea what the real colour was, probably red, but for a bit of variation I opted for "roundel blue", I thought they'd have lots of that in S Rhodesia in 1943!

ChX5zU.jpg

The sharp-eyed might also spot another biplane trainer instruction sheet and build in progress, the Luftwaffe's Tiger Moth equivalent, the Fw44 Stieglitz, the lit also by Silver Wings.  Hey ho!!! :rolleyes:

My lovely little Tiger Moth will get her identity today!  She's probably Australian-built, de Havilland's Australian subsidiary were already building Tiger Moths for their own use as part of the Empire Air Training Scheme (EATS) and a large number of Tiger Moths were sent to Rhodesia via South Africa.  Many arrived without serial numbers, though the Air Ministry had allotted "DX" serials to distinguish the Aussie-built planes, but some already had numbers which it is thought were the constructor's production number, hence this one is simply No. 202 off the production line!

IQXadA.jpg

The serial number is on, fuselage and underwings, but I've just noticed that I've got the fin flash wrong......too narrow!  Serves me right for checking a reference for portions (red/white/blue) + height and not re-checking my photograph!  Ah well......:blowup:  

7oNHu1.jpg

Talking of things being wrong, the position shown on the SW model to fix the venturi tubes is too far back by a couple of mm and too high in my opinion.  Using their position would put the aft end right against the cabane strut fixing, not ideal, so I've drilled new holes and fixed them.  Lots of yellow touch-ups needed so all easily sorted:

1BRkuB.jpg

XQGSWu.jpg

Edited by mozart

Thanks Anthony.....I’m still learning about this SW kit! Only this afternoon I discovered that control horns are supplied for the rudder and elevators, though I have no regrets about making metal ones because the resin ones look very fragile......as indeed they would be!  And there are two bits which still defy identification and location, they look like bracing bars or somesuch but damned if I can see where they fit! 

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Max! One day I'd love to do a standard yellow Tiger Moth - they just look so classic!

Kev

They do indeed Kev, but will it be another Matchbox/Revell one? :P

16 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

She looks spiffing Max. ^_^

Thanks Guy, getting the top wing on is the next task, never easy nor rarely straightforward! Kicking myself over that fin flash though......doh!! :huh: