DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

Still working on the back end!!  Playing around with the design of the metal "shield" between the fuselage and tail fin, I drew out what I thought was about right:

PkL0ms.jpg

and that proved to be just about ok, so I thought I'd try cutting it on the Silhouette using lead foil....worked perfectly!  The settings I used are shown above.

fN37nC.jpg

and with a bit of fettling:

GnRqiK.jpg

hSyRCN.jpg

JBdB7F.jpg

The final, final part of the tail area concerns the support bars between the leading edges of the tail plane and the fuselage:

iqARKs.jpg

Problem 1: identifying the parts, given that some of the undercarriage struts are very similar, and 2:  they are too short:

gLDVFh.jpg

MBl2fu.jpg

or more specifically, the resin parts are.  I have several options to rectify this, time to mull it over!! :hmmm:

Edited by mozart

Very good solution to make the "shield".

Maybe I look at your reference pictures too attentively, but I wonder why the shield strips go down much lower on the left side of the fuselage compared to the right?

Hard to tell if the two photos are of the same aircraft of course, so there could be variations...

Alain

Hmmm, the lower wings are going to be challenging, the more so since their correct alignment and dihedral will directly affect the upper wing and hence the overall "look" of the aeroplane.  The instructions are simplistically vague:

Qy0Bzv.jpg

The problem starts with the small spigot on the wing which is supposed to align with a boss on the fuselage:

TNQUL9.jpg

but I think the boss is too thick for the wing to mate with the fuselage, and the spigot inadequate in depth:

2dOAyQ.jpg 

0DhFRV.jpg

The leading edge of the lower wing has to have a sweep back of 9 deg (which it isn't in this pic!)

8ac2Zm.jpg

and the link between the bracket on the fuselage and the mating part on the wing needs a spacer.  So the wing only interfaces directly with the fuselage on the front half (roughly), the lower half gradually dropping below fuselage level:

iIPQoT.jpg

Should be an interesting hour or two coming up! :huh:

Edited by mozart

57 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Interesting for sure, and there isn't much for the lower wings to hold onto the fuselage! 

This model will require very gentle handling when those wings are attached.

Alain

Slightly worrying Alain isn't it, that's the reason why I'm taking a lot of trial and error fitting not to mention cogitation to get this as right and as robust as possible!  So I've drilled out the wing and fuselage and inserted a piece of rod into the wing.  The aft brackets now line up well, I may well pin these for extra strength:

6rKwIe.jpg

5JTHHK.jpg

q54wA4.jpg

Edited by mozart

Yes I think are a few ways to make the arrangement sturdier, though the photo below shows just how little "contact" there is 'twixt wings and fuselage, this is replicated on the kit:

au2e2h.jpg

And another key photograph at this stage of the build before the lower wings are fixed, the entry/exit points for the aileron control wires which I'll be drilling out shortly:

ZmG3Xo.jpg

Edited by mozart

Lower wings are on!!  I wasn't particularly looking forward to this job, but it was surprisingly easy and trouble free, all aligned well and hopefully at the correct angles of dihedral and rake......or thereabouts!  And, fortunately, secure though I plan to pin the aft brackets tomorrow.  Praise for SW, they certainly have got the geometry of this part spot on (after my modifications! :) )

HvZrdB.jpg

FaIQtC.jpg

Qph6ut.jpg

TyxVMb.jpg