DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

10 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Happy to see the fuselage ready to be closed up! 

I tried to find the parts you left out in reference photos but I could never determine where they should go...They will not be missed!

I'm certain the front IP will end up in its correct place without any trouble (hope the halves are not glued together yet).

Alain

Yes they are Alain, should be a challenge getting the IP back in! :blush:

Well as Alain predicted, the rudder cable control horns didn't last long!  One went pinging off to oblivion yesterday evening, so today it was out with the brass sheet to fashion a new arrangement, both sides on a single strip that slid conveniently through the fuselage.

zdGdVx.jpg

Fj48uu.jpg

6lyEOX.jpg

It gives me the opportunity to centre them in the slot rather than at the very aft end, worked out well I think.  Oh, and the errant IP is back in place too! 

Edited by mozart

23 hours ago, mozart said:

Wow! Yours STILL not arrived Anthony, that is so surprising......or is it? NZ is a long way, but even so.........:(

I’ve only had a short time on it today, and that was sanding, sanding.....:blink:

LOL, I know mate....that's the trouble with living on the other side of the planet!, DH89 still not here either:crying:

Still, look on the bright side.  I am still forging ahead on my Brit Phantom!

I love your updates and she is already really looking the part, great work mate and great solutions.  I am taking notes!

Cheers Anthony

NZ is the one place still on my bucket list Anthony, possibly in 2022 if we’re all still around......but it IS a long, long way away! I’m enjoying your Phantom build, the Tiger Moth is a walk in the park in comparison. :)

OK, back to the Tiger Moth!  Having sanded the fuselage thoroughly I gave it a coat of white primer to help spot the usual seam lines etc., not too bad, so I went straight on with the PE bits.  The under fuselage bits:

XCrGnQ.jpg

and on the real thing:

t3JIOe.jpg

The side bits:

TecUhz.jpg

and on the real thing:

v4JF0H.jpg

Those longitudinal brackets solved a problem for me, because after ditching the very fragile control horns and making a new "one" piece out of brass, I couldn't decide on the best way of fixing it within the fuselage, but the fact that they are flush with the underside of the bracket meant a dap of CA did the trick!  Back to the Hunter. :D

A couple of further thoughts before I do a bit more to the T7.  Much as a love Silver Wings kits, their instructions always leave a lot to be desired, despite these later ones being slick and glossy!  So they do not in any way adequately address the question of rigging - yes there is a drawing showing rigging positions but not in any sort of detail, so I've gone back to the Revell ones, see below:

7KUp4O.jpg

which whilst I was looking at them reminded me that the SW instructions don't cover the accurate position nor fixing of the venturi tubes, which way round they go etc., they just suddenly appear in a drawing on p4......if you know what to look for!  And going back to the rigging, the holes in the nose obviously need to be drilled at this stage before upper wings are positioned, the aft datum of 9mm is the forward edge of the cockpit by the way.  Similarly, the hinge on the baggage compartment on the starboard side isn't covered on p4 where the rest of the fuselage PE are, it's another item that is easy to miss on the final assembly on p6.  It's a great pity that SW's wonderful kits are let down by their instructions, slightly disgruntled!!! :(

Holes drilled.  I haven't decided yet how I'm going to rig this tricky area between the cabane struts, most likely with stretched sprue or wire, but in anticipation I drilled the holes at what I hope is an appropriate angle so that the wires will cross.

xiQBvE.jpg

sIjPsI.jpg

Edited by mozart

Still with the TM!  My mission today is to figure out the back end and how SW planned for it to be assembled since (surprise) the instructions don't give too many clues:

qSdDeF.jpg

The bits:

2HE8kp.jpg

aPAwT0.jpg

and the real thing:

Sm6Ryf.jpg

PIbqKr.jpg

I think I have worked out what's intended, but a trial fit or two is needed first......back later!! :rolleyes:

Good news first; worked out the assembly of the rear end, starting with the tail skid and support:

Fo1XM2.jpg

The correct position of the support bar is critical:

3qIIor.jpg

I got my spring in the wrong place to begin with (too cocky!) so had to cut it out, result when re-positioned it was too short:

6UaqHx.jpg

but a wee bit of resin sorted it, plus a few randomly placed nuts and bolts for effect:

SfBBnr.jpg

What's difficult to see in the picture above is a PE collar at the base of the tail skid, easy enough to fit but two further small squares of PE couldn't be found a meaningful home so they were ditched.

The not so good news, I've drilled the rigging location points on the empennage:

6xiCT7.jpg

but SW don't supply any control horns so I'm now thinking of the easiest/most robust method of manufacture and fitting. :hmmm:

Decided to go down the brass route again with the control horns, so this is the first one.  I cut a slot in the elevator, positioned the "double-headed" horn in place then infilled with Apoxysculpt, which is now drying and will be cleaned up tomorrow.  We'll see if it all works as planned!

bOGTXC.jpg