DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

Looking at the Gypsy Moth engine this afternoon.  It's not going to be very visible in this build but needs to be there for the bits you can see, and for the exhaust.  So, the parts:

WVOkF2.jpg

Not too many so not too difficult though the two small cylinders top right had me head scratching for a while, they need rotating anti-clockwise by 90 deg to be in the correct orientation (I think!).  SW aren't noted for clear and full instructions, I guess expecting experienced modellers to be capable of working things out for themselves, but some of their diagrams could be a little more helpful/accurate.

Built up:

wQHBJc.jpg

It's a tight fit in the engine compartment, these sans engine bearers:

MwQ9nl.jpg

but it all closes up OK:

o3vzG9.jpg

szSvKY.jpg

a few reference pics:

YKJZgj.jpg

1it8Hf.jpg

mvmfwQ.jpg

6 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Too bad your not showing at least one panel open to show the details of the engine (but obviously that's where a project can take much more time to finish...).

Thanks for the good photos of the engine and other details too!

Alain

I have 3 SW Tiger Moths to build Alain, at least one other will get “the works”! Glad you liked the photos, I took them from a modellers’ point of view.....what do I need to see. 

Engine with its initial coat, and some work on the Sutton harnesses.  These are the PE ones supplied with the kit which don't actually need to be that flexible because I know from experience how thick and unyielding the leather sections are!  

Jednuf.jpg

And a little "in-cockpit" entertainment of one of my training flights!! :)

PS Should you have the patience to watch most of this, ignore the last 7 minutes or so because my Go-Pro fell off my helmet!!

Edited by mozart

Clive was a good instructor, but the intensity of a 45 minute lesson always left me feeling worn out!!

I've been making a few refinements.  Firstly the rubbing strip along the fuselage, it was there to take the wear from pulling the blind flying hood backwards and forwards:

bvy4ib.jpg

YLkCVf.jpg

but my subject "202" isn't fitted with a hood nor, from what I can see, the rubbing strip, so off it comes!  I wasn't very happy with the footstep at the front of the nose, it needs a metal surround and should be deeper.  The inner part is leather:

9FIH7p.jpg

loy34v.jpg

So a few minutes with some 10 thou card and the Silhouette cutter:

9TE0OL.jpg

I made the inner slightly deeper but started to go through the resin so this will have to do!  More tomorrow I hope.

6 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Wow, fun ride Max. Woulda been neat to see the landing tho. Bumpsadayzee  ;)

We got down in one piece Mike, tough old bird the Tiger Moth! I was just relieved to discover my Go-pro dangling from my intercom lead on the back of my helmet, I really feared I’d lost it in the wilds of Somerset or even worse “somewhere” inside the plane with the risk of control jamming! 

The fuselage is coming together, though the cockpit framework is impractical (at my skill level) to make as per kit instructions!  The combination of some warping, of tight tolerances and incompetence means that I'm taking a pragmatic approach of not bothering with the cross members (all the bits at the top) which in truth won't be seen but which are there to give structural strength......in theory.)  So I'm just doing the two side frameworks with seats attached and that does away with all my lining up/squareness issues.

smRSqs.jpg

Zd84zZ.jpg

Thank you Lothar and Joachim, meine deutschen Freunde! I’ve had a few hours bench time today since it’s been raining all day so no golf, no gardening, no walking! So the engine’s in place, all of the cockpit items too and everything is set ready for closing her up. I’ve drilled a couple of holes ready for some wires later in the build. The next bit is nerve-wracking.....

OK, I'm "moth'd out" for today!!  The two halves ready for joining apart from the front IP in the starboard half, of which more later.  With hindsight I'm not sure fitting some bits in one half and others in t'other was the most brilliant idea because trial dry fits were difficult to the point of impossible, the key factor being the exhaust pipe, so I eased it off for fitting later.  

Iw8PwM.jpg

Things then became much easier and the top join is acceptable at this point:

YqS7BF.jpg

though I wasn't happy with the front IP which was a bit skewed......so I took it out......hmmmm! :hmmm::mental: I intend altering the profile of it slightly so that it seats better in the fuselage, though whether I'll ever get it back in again is another matter. :shrug:  Sunshine and golf tomorrow!! :speak_cool:

Happy to see the fuselage ready to be closed up! 

I tried to find the parts you left out in reference photos but I could never determine where they should go...They will not be missed!

I'm certain the front IP will end up in its correct place without any trouble (hope the halves are not glued together yet).

Alain