DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

A little progress today in the cockpit area, the joysticks have been added together with the control rod underneath:

LGGB6E.jpg

qYlRSs.jpg

and this bit (!) is important but not very well covered in the instruction booklet:

6Hvtag.jpg

w89gnt.jpg

because the latter implies the pupil's rudder pedal mechanism is one piece, but in fact the curved extensions either side of the basic mechanism have to be added.  Now the importance of these innocent bits suddenly hit me this afternoon when I was cleaning up the fuselage halves; they are the control horns which pass through the side walls to which the rudder cables are attached:

M8f8R3.jpg

so:

O12lRU.jpg

MyI0sp.jpg

Get these wrong and you've nowt to attach your cables to!! :o

16 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Good bit that.....good to know for sure as I'd surely snap them off if I didnt know to watch for them

Yep, that's the problem Brian, there are lots of "anonymous" bits of the kit that are potentially difficult to identify, knowledge of the real Tiger Moth certainly helps with understanding.  I think the way SW have engineered the control horns to be EXACTLY like the real thing is very clever.....it was like a light going on in my head when I realised what they had done but understanding that from the instructions is another matter!   I'm sure there's be more especially at the tail end!

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

I think the 'curly bits' should be in the middle of the opening if the rudder is in the neutral position (i.e. inline with the fuselage).  See picture of the real aeroplane.

Agreed! :), though it’s all such a tight fit inside the fuselage that a centred control horn is going to be difficult to achieve. 

Edited by mozart

Excellent work Max!

Your kit really shows the improvement in the cockpit compared to the Matchbox kit.

I feel the control horns could be weak when attaching the rudder cables. If it snaps it will be very difficult to fix. Perhaps brass reinforcements could be added before closing the fuselage?

Alain

6 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Excellent work Max!

Your kit really shows the improvement in the cockpit compared to the Matchbox kit.

I feel the control horns could be weak when attaching the rudder cables. If it snaps it will be very difficult to fix. Perhaps brass reinforcements could be added before closing the fuselage?

Alain

A very good idea Alain, they are going to be very susceptible to breakage at some point that’s for sure! I’ll make some PE reinforcers and put them underneath. :D

Thanks Chris, it's light years away from the venerable Matchbox kit!  I hope it continues smoothly without any hiccups but I've got a feeling I'll be using the Matchbox wheels because I want the "sans-covers" look!  More pics tomorrow of (limited) progress....been busy in Oxford!

Hi Max it does look fab.  I am waiting for the SH Whirlwind and saving also for one of the lovely looking Nimrods from Lukgraph.   I may sell some of the stash to help and if I can get enough, get one of their gorgeous DH89 models.  We'll see. 

Been busy in Oxford??? Not been driving around in an old MkII Jag, sleuthing!!!

Chris

20 hours ago, VW Chris 1969 said:

Hi Max it does look fab.  I am waiting for the SH Whirlwind and saving also for one of the lovely looking Nimrods from Lukgraph.   I may sell some of the stash to help and if I can get enough, get one of their gorgeous DH89 models.  We'll see. 

Been busy in Oxford??? Not been driving around in an old MkII Jag, sleuthing!!!

Chris

No sleuthing Chris, supporting! My step-daughter and her friend entered the triathlon at Blenheim Palace, an incredibly well organised event with nearly 2000 competitors over the weekend. My role was cheerleader and “spotter”, great fun and both girls completed it.