P40M Warhawk

The Phantom

Ray, you are correct.

The L was a long-tailed F model with the Merlin. The M was a long-tailed E with an Allison engine. The N was a long tailed Allison bird with the revised fuselage rear window (aside from very, very early N's). These are the basic differences between the later variants, no accounting for the fine-print details.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I've been waiting on someone to release a P-40M to add to my collection for a while now.

In the absence of my preferred option of the Hasegawa kit I'll take a punt on this one.

If we get lucky they might get this one right, otherwise it's back to some AM I guess.

At least there's another one available if your not too fussy!  B)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 12:29 PM, LSP_Ray said:

IIRC, the M is basically an E with the longer fuselage?

Pretty much.

There are a few other external differences.

There is an extra windscreen brace on the port side.

Also the dust filter which is that perforated inlet just behind the spinner on each side.

IIRC there were some that only had four guns?

On 9/11/2020 at 1:33 AM, KUROK said:

Pretty much.

There are a few other external differences.

There is an extra windscreen brace on the port side.

Also the dust filter which is that perforated inlet just behind the spinner on each side.

IIRC there were some that only had four guns?

As I recall, it was the early N that only had four guns, in an attempt to lighten it.  But that mod wasn't popular at operational level as pilots appreciated the six gun firepower over the lighter weight.

For those who may not know, the longer tail versions were designed to improve the P-40's take off behaviour.  The shorter versions had a dreadful swing on take off and this was an attempt to improve this, as was the increased fin area on the P-40K before. 

I did a Hasegawa P-40M a few years ago and I'd still take that kit over a new Trumpy kit as it offers the same level of detail without the need to correct all Trumpy's errors.  What we really need is a new release from Tamiya, complete with a nicely detailed Allison engine.  We can dream.............

Cheers,

Michael

8 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

For those who may not know, the longer tail versions were designed to improve the P-40's take off behaviour.  The shorter versions had a dreadful swing on take off and this was an attempt to improve this, as was the increased fin area on the P-40K before.

Partially correct. The long tail and widened fin before it were developed to help retain yaw control/stability as engines with more horsepower were installed. 

HTH,

D