KT-03 aerial tow target

dutik

Thank you all! This helps a lot struggling this beast :D

While cleaning up the new wing I am on the way to make a template to get the dihydral angle right. Also pondring the next steps. This kit is simplified in a number of places. Profimodeller wants you to glue the rim arund the fuselage edges parallel to the upper and lower side, while in fact it is angled at 45 degrees. There are also no positive rivets at the upper side of the rim parts, and no rivets at all at the lower sides. I consider to make my own lines of rivettet metal strip using some copper sheet and a rivetter, and to stick two strips back to back together to have positive rivets at both faces. We shall see. The very next step is to finish the wings, install them at the fuselage and to add the wingstruts at both sides (and the wing struts are a multipiece affair each).

Regards

- dutik

kt-139bjnb.jpg

The wings are fixed in place and got leading edge caps. I am on the way to add the underwing struts, one per side. One attachment point is that U-shaped part on the lower wing side. The fuselage attachment point will be somewhere where I made the black pencil marking (close to the edge). Instructions are not very clear about this. Profimodellers parts are also very different from to the real thing, and they ask you to use strip styrene for the strut, while the real thing looks more like a tube...

They ask you also to build up a hexnut at the upper wing side from PE (not show here). I simply replaced this with a resin hexnut. And they want you to make screws or bolts for the attachment of the struts from wire and PE hex end pieces. No, thanks! I will go for some resin or styrene bolts to do this.

Enjoy!

- dutik

I think so. They were all grey with yellow and a large number.

One strut in place, parts for the second ready:

kt-14mqjpu.jpg

These are only the parts of the fuselage-to-strut joint. Not in the photo are two more hexnuts and more wire for the joint between wing and strut. Going on and on...

Guess I will not make it until the deadline, but this will be finished now. No mercy! :punk:

Regards

- dutik

I am afraid it might be look just like a mess of dents and scratches... :oops:

Meanwhile: Ooops I did it again! :wicked:

kt-15f7kds.jpg

Thats the other side. Now the wings are ready :punk:

kt-16ftjb1.jpg

Next step:

Some bits and pieces at the lowes side. Landing skids and some bumpers. And the parachute compartment at the rear.

Then the rivettet lines along the edges. After a lot of pondering I will try some strip styrene with Archer 3D rivet lines. We shall see.

BTW:

Nice movie - "The Dig". With Ralph Fiennes (known as Voldemort). Nice story about the uncovering of the largest iron age grave ever in Great Britain just at the beginning of WW2. Good movie - and you get som Spitfires flying past - and going down :( - too.

Regards

- dutik

Discovered that the central spine on top was to short AND misaligned. It has to run straight into the rudder at the real thing. I scrapped off a major part of this spine and replaced it with an appropriate one. Also cut a correspondenting notch into the base of the rudder:

kt-17pbkak.jpg

Started to make the parachute box at the end of the fuselage. Profimodeller hints to the use of a sheet of cloth in the kit. You got it - no sheet of cloth here. Also one more time the wellknown order to glue PE parts edge to edge. Cut a 10,7mm styrene tube lenghtwide in half and used it as a central piece to get the PE parts together as required. Not yet finished, but you get the idea:

kt-18vrkw5.jpg

Now the Training Day GB is over. May I ask the administrators to move this whole threat into the "Works in progress" board?

Regards

- dutik

• 3 weeks later...