F-4 Phantom Opinions Sought

Chek

Trust me, after working in the engineering field for quite a number of years (decades), I never trust drawings other than those originating at the source, the manufacturer of the actual aircraft itself. With almost zero exceptions, most drawings simply cannot be trusted to be accurate.

That's the thing isn't it?

If just doing the one single example, all the corrections are an enjoyable means to the end of having a model the best you can make it.

I find though with wanting multiple versions (for example an F-4B an F-4E an F-4G an F-4J etc. I'd prefer the only differences to be what changed on the aircraft in real life,

not what the kit manufacturers made incorrectly. And repeating the same corrections gets to be a chore if not outright drudgery.

24 minutes ago, Chek said:

That's an interesting opinion Cees, because I've always thought the slab-sided Tamiya rear fuselage was quite Spey engine influenced.

As well as the Tamiya navy kits' hard wing/nose etc.

Yes I was surprised at the thought of using the Revell kit section for an FGR conversion, but seeing his cut and splice efforts on LSM I am suitably impressed at how good it looks.  Captures the Spey back end around the reheat cans really quite nicely

• 2 weeks later...

There are areas where Revell has got it over Tamiya. But flipside, shape is more of an issue when it is off by Revell.

The obvious areas like pinched radome, parts of fuselage too wide (perhaps where Cees sees advantage?) the spine

is arched better than Tamiya which is first thing I noticed waaay back when I first looked at the Tamiya kit.

The intakes for sure, and the chin, or gun also too wide. Anemic nose strut, but Revell did correctly locate

the outboard pylons, but not inboard! For a kit, their stab at doing slats is passable, but surely need improvement.

And their exhausts are better sized. Best part is the price if you can reasonably fix the faults.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

And as a rule of thumb the more plans one enthusiast has produced the more suspect is the accuracy as you cannot be a subject matter expert for hundreds of different planes! 

Thierry, I am just reading through your 'Tweak List' here for my FGR-2 build.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2737

What are the Air conditioning scoops that need shortening 6mm?  Are they the ones either side of the nose just behind the radome?

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony

9 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thierry, I am just reading through your 'Tweak List' here for my FGR-2 build.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2737

What are the Air conditioning scoops that need shortening 6mm?  Are they the ones either side of the nose just behind the radome?

Cheers Anthony

The scoops on the side of the fuselage behind the radome on the Tamiya kit match the length of the scoops in photos so check before cutting.

Cheers

Nick

3 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Anthony

The scoops on the side of the fuselage behind the radome on the Tamiya kit match the length of the scoops in photos so check before cutting.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick, That's what I thought too, so figured it was something else...

26 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Anthony.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I realized that Ben and me wrote that 15 years ago! So I cannot reply without checking as I did not look closely at such kits for years. 

My, how time flies! I can't trust my memory of yesterday's breakfast, much less 15 years ago, so I also can't comment without digging the kits out of the closet.

Just looking at photos of built kits and the real thing, yes, double-check before cutting the ACS scoops. They look okay to my much older eyes. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown