1/32 Avro 504 scratchbuild

kensar

I have made the tail surfaces by laminating 0.010" skins embossed with the rib detail onto 0.020" cores.

Avro504-31.jpg

Avro504-32.jpg

I have cut the ailerons free from the wing and made the pulleys for the aileron cable system.  The ailerons are operated by an external cable system.

Avro504-38.jpg

Avro504-39.jpg

The pulleys were made on my lathe.

Avro504-36.jpg

Avro504-37.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Great work, Ken!

I've edited the image links in your post, as they were using bbCode, and with the latest upgrade to the forum software, bbCode is no longer supported. All you have to do from now on is copy/paste the direct image URL, which should look something like so:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZK4PSwg8/Avro504-37.jpg

Just paste that in and hit enter/return, and your image will display!

Kev

I've been looking at the A-Model Dornier Wal I picked up a couple of weeks ago and comparing it to my scratch built Wal built using the Wilhelmshaven paper model as a pattern. The new wing I rough sanded out of pink foam is going to be the basis for the ongoing build. I like your method, especially for dealing with the camber. I suspect I will be doing something similar, but using the foam core with a solid leading edge and .010 sheet with the embossing. Going to be a while before I get to it, but the core as made is about 7 inches too long so I can shorten it and use the off cut to experiment on. 

I have gotten the lower wings to a point where I need the fuselage to align some details, so I have started on the fuselage.

Avro504-40.jpg

The seats are mounted on two rails running through the fuselage.  The seat backs are aluminum and the rest is wood, except for the control stick assembly.

Avro504-41.jpg

Avro504-43.jpg

Avro504-44.jpg

Avro504-45.jpg

The basic fuse sides.

Avro504-42.jpg

Don't know why these links are showing and not the pictures?

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed image links

23 minutes ago, kensar said:

Don't know why these links are showing and not the pictures?

I've fixed them by using the 'Insert image from URL' feature, available from the 'Other Media' drop-down menu at the bottom right of the post edit window.

But to answer your question, I think I've figured out this particular edge case now. It seems that you're copying a rich text URL from somewhere, which contains hyperlink formatting. The forum software sees this as a generic URL, rather than a link to an image, and so only gives you a URL, rather than an embedded image. Using the 'Insert image from URL' feature gets around this, but the secret to avoiding it in the first place is to make sure you only copy a plain text URL. The main way to tell the difference is that if the one you're copying already has an underline beneath it, then it's rich text, rather than plain text.

Kev

Thanks, Bob.

Okay, I'll try this again.  A couple of pictures with a little color.

I've painted the sides their basic colors. Now waiting for the oils to dry.

Avro504-46.jpg

Here is the seat assembly in a darker wood color.  I switched to the lighter color, which I believe is more accurate.

Avro504-47.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by kensar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Working on the interior still.

I made footboards.  On the real thing these are stamped aluminum covering wood cores.  Here I glued wire on shaped styrene and coated with fiberglass resin before painting.

Avro504-51.jpg

Made a belt from masking tape.  A simple design - not like a modern harness.

Avro504-52.jpg

I have the two fuse sides together with a few more details added.  The air pump that can be operated by either occupant is prominent on the right side.

Avro504-55.jpg

Avro504-56.jpg

Avro504-57.jpg

A few more things to do on the bottom, then the IP is next.

• 2 weeks later...