Zvezda's new 1/72 C-130 first test shots - DO NOT LOOK IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT 1/72!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my Zvezda C-130 today.  I. Am. Impressed!  This is a **nice** kit!  I clipped the major airframe parts off the sprue and did a test fit and everything falls together nigh on perfectly!  At long, long, long last we have what appears to be an accurate C-130 that with very little effort can be built as anything from a C-130B to a late C-130H.   Moving this one up to the top of the pile!

On 10/27/2020 at 8:40 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Got my Zvezda C-130 today.  I. Am. Impressed!  This is a **nice** kit!  I clipped the major airframe parts off the sprue and did a test fit and everything falls together nigh on perfectly!  At long, long, long last we have what appears to be an accurate C-130 that with very little effort can be built as anything from a C-130B to a late C-130H.   Moving this one up to the top of the pile!

So....I wonder if there are any new decal sheets about to appear on the market....:whistle:

On 10/26/2020 at 6:40 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Read on Britmodeler today that one UK shop got 50 kits in and sold them all on the first day on the shelves.

Many of us have been saying for years a new tool Herc is a license to print money.

Yep, I’ve been one of ‘em.  I distinctly remember cracking the box on the Italeri kit when it first came out and feeling immediately let down by all the errors.  

Zvezda’s isn’t 100% perfect, but overall I’d give it a strong A-.  For some reason, Zvezda seems unwilling or unable to do detail that’s raised or engraved any more than a normal panel line.  The cooling “gills” on the RH side aft of the cockpit are a good example.  On the real thing, they’re noticeably deep and 3 dimensional.  Zvezda just made them panel lines.  Similarly, the ‘chine’ along the sides of the fuselage where the cargo floor is has a doubler plate over it that’s totally absent.  Not huge things, but kind of perplexing given the CAD/CNC they use to do the tools.

But overall, this kit is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Airfix, Italeri, and ESCI, all of which are now good for paint mules and not much else.  I’m so tickled!