JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

8 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

...which you should ask them to send then. But they are standalone pieces so they may have moved somewhere else in the box. If not make sure to get them because they are really useful both for aligning the two fuselage halves and giving extra surface for glue. 

The email has already gone, I’m just waiting on a response. I’ll make my decisions based on the resolution of that and how I see the fit afterwards. 

That IS a difference. i'm not certain what's gone on there but i've checked mine again and its pretty much bob on. 

i don't know too much about resin casting but I do know moulds wear out and resin shrinks. that could be the only possible explanation. 

Might be worth sending those photos to Jetmads as I cant imagine their quality control would be that far out. 

16 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

That IS a difference. i'm not certain what's gone on there but i've checked mine again and its pretty much bob on. 

i don't know too much about resin casting but I do know moulds wear out and resin shrinks. that could be the only possible explanation. 

Might be worth sending those photos to Jetmads as I cant imagine their quality control would be that far out. 

I’ve sent them the photo’s, although not really sure whether anything can be done about it. I don’t have a vast amount of skill in blending parts with such a size difference, so don’t know if it is fixable or not. I’m now even more reluctant to make any sort of start with it. It’ll now go to the back of the queue while I deliberate, and possible experiment on a test mule that I’ll deliberately misalign. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

20 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

I’ve sent them the photo’s, although not really sure whether anything can be done about it. I don’t have a vast amount of skill in blending parts with such a size difference, so don’t know if it is fixable or not. I’m now even more reluctant to make any sort of start with it. It’ll now go to the back of the queue while I deliberate, and possible experiment on a test mule that I’ll deliberately misalign. 

And you shouldn't have to dig so deep for skill in blending all those parts with a kit that's of such a pricepoint. 

Resin is hard enough to work with and rescribe already without the need for a grinder and blending. 

Hope Jetmads can address this with new parts. 

Jetmads got back to me lasting night. They’re posting replacement fuselage alignment parts out to me ASAP. Whether customs dropped them during an inspection or it was human error in the packing process, nobody can be sure. No dramas, parts inbound. 
They have intimated that we can have a dialogue about the fuselage fit once I have the alignment parts, but as suspected, differing mould wear and tear, and shrinkage have probably led to the mismatch. 
Outcome, I’ll see what I feel when I’ve tried the bits that arrive. If I feel it’s too much for the skill I have, I shall sell it to someone who feels they can do a better job that I would. It’s not the end of the world. 

I have to admit the quality looks pretty underwhelming judging from the photos. They could at least have removed the printing layers from the cast parts  and the 3D printed parts aren't the best either... anyway, it's a great subject and I hope all among you having ordered one will receive their kits soon. I for one am looking forward to the announced FH-1 Phantom! 

On 12/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, Stokey Pete said:

this is near the port intake

51726657758_bb2df43ddd_b.jpg

and the underside

51726657748_6b7fb76675_b.jpg

This looks quite similar to how mine was - The inside 3D printed pieces had also broken in half on mine (not sure if they are there to avoid the main fuselage parts warping during transport/curing or to help with the joining of the parts - or both)

I found that the fuselage sections are actually quite flexible if you apply a little pressure to them and I was able to create a somewhat acceptable dry-fit doing that. So what I did was very low-tech and aligned the two halves on the top (and most visible) part and glued that and let it set. I use Ammo by MIG black slow dry CA glue with Magic Dust. it creates a very very strong bond

I then applied CA glue to the bottom part and squeezed the rear fuselage (middle section) part in place with my thumbs to line it up while the glue set. It was a pretty decent joint in the end and I only had to sand a small step on the bottom part where there is no detail to protect as it will be covered by the gun pack.

Its not perfect and I don´t know if your parts are the same as mine but maybe it can work for you as well..

/Niels

20 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

This looks quite similar to how mine was - The inside 3D printed pieces had also broken in half on mine (not sure if they are there to avoid the main fuselage parts warping during transport/curing or to help with the joining of the parts - or both)

I found that the fuselage sections are actually quite flexible if you apply a little pressure to them and I was able to create a somewhat acceptable dry-fit doing that. So what I did was very low-tech and aligned the two halves on the top (and most visible) part and glued that and let it set. I use Ammo by MIG black slow dry CA glue with Magic Dust. it creates a very very strong bond

I then applied CA glue to the bottom part and squeezed the rear fuselage (middle section) part in place with my thumbs to line it up while the glue set. It was a pretty decent joint in the end and I only had to sand a small step on the bottom part where there is no detail to protect as it will be covered by the gun pack.

Its not perfect and I don´t know if your parts are the same as mine but maybe it can work for you as well..

/Niels

Niels.

I did look at applying a little pressure to alter the shapes. Once I’ve got the joining parts I’ll look into it in more depth. 

48 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

Niels.

I did look at applying a little pressure to alter the shapes. Once I’ve got the joining parts I’ll look into it in more depth. 

On the bright side though , given enough pressure Pete, it might start to look like .............a much prettier fighter . :yahoo:

f-16.jpg

32 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

On the bright side though , given enough pressure Pete, it might start to look like .............a much prettier fighter . :yahoo:

f-16.jpg

LOL - Just throw a couple of Canards on that thing and we are there :)

Did they not try that on the AFTI F-16 or something.. didnt look too good though if I remember correctly

2 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

LOL - Just throw a couple of Canards on that thing and we are there :)

Did they not try that on the AFTI F-16 or something.. didnt look too good though if I remember correctly

Is that the one where the night workers accidentally put the wings on backwards ...you know they sacked that shift at Forth Worth after that particular stunt back in '76 

Still more interesting than a Saaaaarrrb Vegann IMHO .

general-dynamics-f-16-sfw-swept-forward-

#number7perhaps?

2 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Still more interesting than a Saaaaarrrb Vegann IMHO .

I feel the exact opposite. While the F-16 (and even the forward swept variant) is cool, I have one in the stash, F-16s abound everywhere, in innumerable branches of service, with so many variants in service with so many countries I feel like if you see a jet somewhere, there is a likely chance its an F-16. I start getting immune to even seeing them sometimes.

While that is indeed fine, the Viggen IMHO at least has some uniqueness to it, with its unique camo, unique service setting, canards, tandem wheels, delta, and on and on. To me the Viggen is worlds more interesting than any F-16.