JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

I've just started painting the insane 4 colour splinter scheme using the DN models stencil sheet(s) , The stencil set has one of the most optimistic comment , "These Stencils can be reused if removed carefully", Hmm , since the scheme is one of the maddest I've ever seen and even if by some miracle I got my hands on another Viggen there no Flipping way I'm doing this scheme again - that's for sure!

1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

I've just started painting the insane 4 colour splinter scheme using the DN models stencil sheet(s) , The stencil set has one of the most optimistic comment , "These Stencils can be reused if removed carefully", Hmm , since the scheme is one of the maddest I've ever seen and even if by some miracle I got my hands on another Viggen there no Flipping way I'm doing this scheme again - that's for sure!

Well, there is the wonderful two tone grey scheme :coolio:

Cheers

Rainer

Following two thread now with people building their 1:31 Viggen resin/3d printed kit, I think now that when I get mine, I will want to use my Trumpeter chisel tools to more easily make more even, any 3d printed surface, by simply using the chisel tool as a scraper, that way you can easily scrape the surface from the top.

I also made a custom tool, for making a more narrow chisel tool, by simply buying another chisel tool (1mm) and then grind the the tool more narrow with metal files. :) Ideally I would have used a power tool, but I had to clumsily use a set of hand held cheap metal files that I did not had to worry too much about.

Edited by Treehugger

3 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I used DN model´s mask for my first 1/48 JA 37.. It did not feel reuseable afterwards.. ;) But i guess with care, it is "possible".. Just.. Why? :)

There is Maestro´s mask too, made by Eduard I think. Used both. Cannot say one is better - iit did not feel that way (for 1/48 anyways)

2 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Well, there is the wonderful two tone grey scheme :coolio:

Cheers

Rainer

Yeah, it feels more JA as well! :) To me the tow-tone grey is THE JA camo. Splinter is for AJs and SHs. Now, some JAs did retain the splinter (to make it harder knowing for potential enemies what they saw - fighter or attacker?) - but it made quite a lot of difference having the air superiority greys. That´s why the day glo was sued, it was a little too effective during exercises and practice dog fights..

1 hour ago, Treehugger said:

As for the splinter camo scheme, I would have thought that using custom cut Tamiya tape would make masking fairly easy, given how the camo patterns have a lot of straight lines and all.

It can be done.. But it takes alot of time.. Seen a couple of building threads on smaller models. In this case, I gladly pay for a mask though!

3 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

It can be done.. But it takes alot of time.. Seen a couple of building threads on smaller models. In this case, I gladly pay for a mask though!

Indeed it can. I started out making my own splinter mask set on my Silhouette, and did experiment with a rice paper tape mask as well. However, right as I was about a 1/4 of the way through it DN came out with their splinter set, and popped for it, knowing the $40 something would be way worth it after the time it took to make the set myself. 

9 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed it can. I started out making my own splinter mask set on my Silhouette, and did experiment with a rice paper tape mask as well. However, right as I was about a 1/4 of the way through it DN came out with their splinter set, and popped for it, knowing the $40 something would be way worth it after the time it took to make the set myself. 

Yeah, agreed. I think it is worth it. Some AM is not - this saves time and sanity.. ;)

On 10/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, Treehugger said:

As for the splinter camo scheme, I would have thought that using custom cut Tamiya tape would make masking fairly easy, given how the camo patterns have a lot of straight lines and all.

Not so sure about that.... have you seen the amount and variation in patterns? thats A LOT of cutting!