JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

First order #10493, already arrived in the US and waiting for whenever our dear USPS has the good mood to deliver. My second order #10771 will take some more time to ship apparently.  

Surely excited to receive them at once and I wish they could send them out faster. On the other hand it is good to know the kits are being shipped and they are progressing.

There was a time during their Covid break that I thought they might not be able to pull it through at all.

Can we maybe revisit the "what glue to use" discussion - I am still unsure which way to go and maybe others are too - I dont want to screw this one up ;)

I am gathering that its either CA Glue or some kind of epoxy. I have the two-component epoxy glue from HpH Models (but not used it so far) and I am leaning towards that for the major joints at least. I would not feel comfortable with the brittle joints created by CA glue for that  -any thoughts, experience..advice?

Thanks

Niels

I think at least, it is important to somehow use masking tape and also maybe adding kind of guiding pins, to avoid gluing the big parts asymmetrically. The masking tape should help keep the parts in place, and not start sliding around. Not sure how much glue can be gotten into the seams from the outside if using cyanoacrylate or something that is not Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (which don't work on resin, but usually would seep into tiny gaps by capillary effect). Maybe some slow drying glue is a good idea, giving one time to get an optimal fit, without risking things going hard using quick drying cyanoacrylate.

Edited by Treehugger

14 hours ago, Treehugger said:

I think at least, it is important to somehow use masking tape and also maybe adding kind of guiding pins, to avoid gluing the big parts asymmetrically. The masking tape should help keep the parts in place, and not start sliding around. Not sure how much glue can be gotten into the seams from the outside if using cyanoacrylate or something that is not Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (which don't work on resin, but usually would seep into tiny gaps by capillary effect). Maybe some slow drying glue is a good idea, giving one time to get an optimal fit, without risking things going hard using quick drying cyanoacrylate.

They do make an ultra-thin CA glue, I wonder if that would flow similar to Tamiya Extra Thin, and how well it holds.

CA glue of any description (that I know of) goes brittle when cured. Neither does it penetrate into the bonded surfaces.

I've added resin and other materials to kits using CA, but I'm unsure about its capacity to hold an entire heavy kit together.

I'm wondering if a UV cured resin bonder is a better answer than epoxy, at least for the larger parts.

I'd be interested to know what the builders at somewhere like HpH use.

Hph epoxy glue is more liquid than any other brand I have used and it has a long setting time. As far as you rely on tape and clamps to ensure the parts do not move it is a good solution for large resin parts. However take your time to test it as it can be messy if not used cautiously : it is so liquid it can go everywhere!