JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

Hi carl, I just checked Canada Posts web site and it shows that services between Canada and turkey are still available. Here is the link, go to page 6 https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/aboutus/service-alerts/destinations-to-which-service-is-suspended.pdf . Maybe they can ship it DHL for you. I live in Burlington just down the road from you and also have one on order but my number is a long way off.

Dave

On 3/4/2021 at 10:08 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Same, no way I could go for grey with that lovely tri-color splinter scheme out there!

However, for me having seen SO many Felistowes at competitions in the past, some well done, some not so much, the Felix really doesnt have that much of a presence for me at shows any more, rare or not. The Viggen for me will have way, WAY more presence on the tables.  

I´m a bit late.. Sorry, been taking abreak from the hobby - about when i missed ordering the first run of these.. ;)

Nit-picking - but it is actually quadricolour..

On 3/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Hm, am I the only one who really, truly prefers the two tone grey camo?

I was wondering what version the Jetmads JA-37 is. All I can tell from the CAD images is, that it is not a D(I) modded Viggen, so you guys may indeed have quite a choice of schemes. If it were a D(I) modded Viggen, however, two tone grey it would have to be :wicked:

Cheers

Rainer

There was actually one Ja 37 Di in the quadricolour. She is still around, in ugglarp at Svedinos Museum. Not too far from were I grew up (I´ve bicycled past it but you need a break at Slöing for refreshing ice cream after that bicycle ride.. ;) )

On 3/6/2021 at 1:14 AM, Chek said:

Thanks guys. the blade antenna on the spine and the yellow radome warning loop (+ stencil) seem to be the main SK-37E giveaways. 

And I like to know what's going on with different versions this beautiful aircraft.

While ordering a third kit (I'd like grey/silver/and fields and meadows schemes) I asked the about the possibility of them producing other versions as I really also want an AJ-37 lugging 2 x honking great Rb04 missiles in 1/32nd scale. They replied:

"Other versions of the Viggen are within our release plans, however our schedule is fully loaded and they will have to wait a while"£.

Nit-pciking again but.. i can´t help it. But it is actually "JA 37" and "AJ 37" - mo "-". And as far as I have udnerstood voer the years, "JA 37" not "JA37", but I´m not toally sure. Atleast you see alot of that I think is wrong in sources..

Might as well write it since we are just about as nit-pciky when we mdoeld etails, eh? ;)

10 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

IThere was actually one Ja 37 Di in the quadricolour. She is still around, in ugglarp at Svedinos Museum. Not too far from were I grew up (I´ve bicycled past it but you need a break at Slöing for refreshing ice cream after that bicycle ride.. ;) )

That's interesting indeed. Any pictures of that bird you could point me to?

Edit: Just visited the website of the Svedinos Museum and indeed, in one of the photos there is a JA 37 Di in the background. It has the two antennas on the spine that are characteristic for the Di mod. It seems to be in pristine condition and has the markings of F17. But did it actually fly in that camo?

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Nit-pciking again but.. i can´t help it. But it is actually "JA 37" and "AJ 37" - mo "-". And as far as I have udnerstood voer the years, "JA 37" not "JA37", but I´m not toally sure. Atleast you see alot of that I think is wrong in sources..

That was my point as well. I wrote to Jetmads when they announced the Viggen and said it should be "JA 37" and "not JA37". Their reply was kind as always, together with the front pages of the official Viggen manuals of the Flgvapnet. Now I am typing JA37 and AJ37 as their reference is the ultimate one :D

Viggen-02.png

Viggen-01.png

15 hours ago, dustiepal said:

Hi carl, I just checked Canada Posts web site and it shows that services between Canada and turkey are still available. Here is the link, go to page 6 https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/aboutus/service-alerts/destinations-to-which-service-is-suspended.pdf . Maybe they can ship it DHL for you. I live in Burlington just down the road from you and also have one on order but my number is a long way off.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Jetmads sent me a photo of the kit all boxed up with my address on it. They said that their post office wouldn't take it when they went to send it along with other orders with Canadian addresses. It may be the the Turkish postal system doesn't want to take it in at the moment. I know getting stuff from Hong Kong has been hit or miss lately so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Carl

On 4/1/2021 at 8:36 PM, mattcour said:

Conversion to an AJ :hmmm:May not be as easy as it sounds.

Yeah, they are quite different aircraft as has already been mentioned. The AJ, SH, Sf and Sk are the first generation and the JA the second generation - and that says a bit.. The JA is the first real digital aircraft, the others are not.. But the details have been mentioned.

On 4/7/2021 at 3:09 PM, panzerrob said:

Hi all,

I hope it is okay if I post several Viggen photo's here!

The quality isn't great, but maybe they can be of help for the Jetmads Viggen builders.

Moderators, is this is considered a solution of this thread, please remove the photos!

The photos were taken at Aviodroom in the Netherlands, were this aircraft is stored outside in the open.

As I said, the quality isn't great, but I hope you enjoyed them anyway!

With regards,

Rob

Rememebr that is a first geenration Viggen (AJ or Sh and I´m too lazy to check which! ;) ) Not a good reference for a JA..

On 4/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, JMcD said:

Yes, I know that. The airbrakes seem closed and integral to the part now, for only the panel line is visible. Othewise there would be a recess with some details if it was designed openable, and with a separate cover of course.

Mod C/Edit 32 de-activated the airbrakes.

3 hours ago, Breaker said:

There's a AJ 37 at Newark Air Museum as well still in Quadricolour/Splinter.

An SH or rather AJSF 37, first generation Viggen and not a JA though. The camo is the same however.

Link to Flygvapenmuseum

3 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

That's interesting indeed. Any pictures of that bird you could point me to?

Edit: Just visited the website of the Svedinos Museum and indeed, in one of the photos there is a JA 37 Di in the background. It has the two antennas on the spine that are characteristic for the Di mod. It seems to be in pristine condition and has the markings of F17. But did it actually fly in that camo?

Cheers

Rainer

Yeah I can get some but you also found it. :) Oh yes! It certainly flew like that! Right up until its retirement.

In Swedish I´m afraid..

1 hour ago, frank83 said:

That was my point as well. I wrote to Jetmads when they announced the Viggen and said it should be "JA 37" and "not JA37". Their reply was kind as always, together with the front pages of the official Viggen manuals of the Flgvapnet. Now I am typing JA37 and AJ37 as their reference is the ultimate one :D

Viggen-02.png

Viggen-01.png

1 hour ago, mattcour said:

Thanks for sharing that, I had my doubts too.

Well, it is not that simple. Like "robot" for missile was earlier "Rb" - later "RB". The official way of typing it per Försvarsmakten is "JA 37" unless I´m missing something.

That the manual says JA37 doesn´t mean anything making it official.. But I can check with Flygvapnet - or rather Försvarsmakten. I´m curious too. It certainly is not "JA-37" however.

On 6/13/2021 at 2:05 AM, adameliclem said:

Hi Ray,

This will never get old:

One of a series. A few were directed by the Scott brothers, Ridley and Tony.

Cheers

Adam

I´ve heard that this version landed the director´s job for Top Gun..? :)

(It´s not a JA 37 though.)

https://youtu.be/PM3woO0AbCw

On 8/3/2021 at 2:32 PM, Treehugger said:

Ah, ok. I have no experience with clear resin canopy parts. Would you say that clear resin parts are thin walled, or, would clear resin parts be more like injection moulded clear parts that tend to have a distinctive thickness to them?

*I had deleted some stuff I had written here, being unsure if I understood the difference between JA-37 and the older AJ-37*

According to Wikipedia, the initial production of the newer JA-37 had a bare metal finish, which I think is the variant I would like to paint. Until now, I wasn't sure if there were any bare metal variants of the JA-37.

That´s correct. F 13 Wing was the first to get them and flew them bare metal finish. iirc Flygvapnet painted them themselves to save money. But SAAb painted the first Ajs and later Flygvapnet painted the m themselves so i could have mixed it..

Anyways, F 13 Wing did some test on a number of aircraft, trialling different greys and an almost white airframe 8White Lady!). four or five in total, can´t remember right now. So there is room for baremetal, "splinter camo", the two tone grey (same as J 35Js but different from AJSf 37s from SWAFRAP and the JAS 39s) and those test.schemes of darker and lighter greys.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, frank83 said:

I doubt the splinter camo contains black. It is a very dark green with some tint of black, not totally black. SK37 twin seaters seem to have a darker shade of that color, maybe a bit closer to black but other variants have it as a very dark blackish green.

it is indeed black. Some have it faded however. Tamiya NATO black is probably better than Flat Black as JetMADS suggest however. But MRP is what I will use..

On 9/2/2021 at 10:45 PM, Phantom2 said:

I finally orderd me a Viggen (2nd Batch) and I certainly will get me a J-35 Draken too!

Of all aircrafts SAAB have done , the Draken (Dragon) is my favourite and I have many fond memories of them.

Cheers!

Stefan :D

Draken is actually "The kite"  (from the designers!) due to its shape.. Now, Draken happen to mean dragon too..

3 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Hi Dave,

Jetmads sent me a photo of the kit all boxed up with my address on it. They said that their post office wouldn't take it when they went to send it along with other orders with Canadian addresses. It may be the the Turkish postal system doesn't want to take it in at the moment. I know getting stuff from Hong Kong has been hit or miss lately so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Carl

Hi Carl, I messaged Jetmads about using another carrier. I will message you and let you know what they said.

Dave

19 hours ago, Paramedic said:

That the manual says JA37 doesn´t mean anything making it official.

I would call this a bold statement.

The manual of the AJ is dated 1974 and the manual of the JA is dated 1999. No one seems to have bothered to correct it in 25 years then, if it was wrong.

I do not think any air force on the planet would allow their aircraft to be mistyped in its manuals. Which makes the denomination quite official for me.

However, it may be true that the Swedish air force later chose another way of calling its aircraft codes and numbering, the way the Americans did in the sixties. The most correct answer could be from the officials as you have suggested. Would you let us know if you ever ask them...