JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

5 hours ago, red Dog said:

This is the only Viggen example I know that has open fuselage speed brakes. I have gone through all my archives to find another one, but none. Neither operational nor display aircraft, not a single one and that goes for all variants.

I remember having read somewhere that these were very rarely used and Saab even totally deactivated them on JA37s. 

Anyone to publish an operational Viggen image with those brakes open is sure to receive a few dozens of likes here :):)

Viggen_Aviodrome_2012_8.jpg

Edited by JMcD

6 hours ago, red Dog said:

This landing gear well cover, too. Only the display aircraft have them open, no operational aircraft have them open when parked.

Again, anyone to povide opposite visual reference will be highly and loudly applauded :)

Viggen_Aviodrome_2012_3.jpg

Well, the main landing gear doors could be opened for maintenance, of course, but I've never seen them open on parked operational aircraft (and I've looked at lots and lots of pics when I researched the Viggen for my build ...)

One thing with museum Viggens that always baffles me is the fact, that on most of them the arm/disarm lever of the ejection seat is in the "armed" position. When parked, it should of course be in the "disarmed" position.

Rainer

52 minutes ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

One thing with museum Viggens that always baffles me is the fact, that on most of them the arm/disarm lever of the ejection seat is in the "armed" position. When parked, it should of course be in the "disarmed" position.

Possibly because people like to sit in the cockpit and the arm (as it is designed to do) gets in the way! (being sued for accidental injury may also be a consideration?).

Derek

Would have thought the explosive charges for the seat would have been taken out for museum aircraft, so it doesn't matter which position the arm/disarm lever is in.

Oh, and I certainly wouldn't use that aircraft as a reference for matching colours...

Edited by jenshb

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Possibly because people like to sit in the cockpit and the arm (as it is designed to do) gets in the way! (being sued for accidental injury may also be a consideration?).

Derek

Interesting idea, Derek. However, ingress is from the left, so there should be no real problem with injury??

1 hour ago, jenshb said:

Would have thought the explosive charges for the seat would have been taken out for museum aircraft, so it doesn't matter which position the arm/disarm lever is in.

Certainly the seat is without any explosives. But that is no excuse for putting the lever in the wrong position :coolio: :coolio:

Rainer

1 hour ago, JMcD said:

Viggen.png

The cad drawings on their website show the brakes openable but looking at the aft fuselage part, Jetmads too seem to have changed their mind.

We’ll see about that. The red parts are / were still in production phase at the time the picture was released.

29 minutes ago, Matti said:

We’ll see about that. The red parts are / were still in production phase at the time the picture was released.

Yes, I know that. The airbrakes seem closed and integral to the part now, for only the panel line is visible. Othewise there would be a recess with some details if it was designed openable, and with a separate cover of course.

12 minutes ago, JMcD said:

Yes, I know that. The airbrakes seem closed and integral to the part now, for only the panel line is visible. Othewise there would be a recess with some details if it was designed openable, and with a separate cover of course.

Yes, airbrakes seem to be in closed positions. I hope it’s not too late to redesign that...

14 minutes ago, Matti said:

Yes, airbrakes seem to be in closed positions. I hope it’s not too late to redesign that...

I like open canopies, dropped flaps etc so open airbrakes would look good however that would not be accurate as all photographic references show them closed. As I mentioned, they were even cancelled on the JA37s, which must be why Jetmads revised their design, if that is the final version of the part. There's nothing wrong with it being closed and in fact it is more accurate this way.