JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

25 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

Why not?

They all look very similar, the Viggens, but converting a JA to an AJ may take some serious work. I'll try to sum up what I know of the differences between the two:

1-) JA is 13cm longer than the AJ. In fact, it is 16cm longer but the nose pitot tube is 3cm shorter, so 13cm in all. The mid fuselage is made 16 cm longer to accomodate the new engine, so you would have to properly cut 5mm in this scale off the mide fuselage where it meets the front fuselage. I see from this latest diagram that the formation lights do not end where the two fuselage sections meet, which means that Jetmads have done a right design. Now you would need an untrembling hand to slice it by 5mm, but even so it probably will not fit to the front section properly.

2-) AJ has different weapon systems, obviously, and has relevant controls and eqıipment in the cockpit. I measure that this is a large and visible cockpit and using the cockpit of the kit for an AJ would not be a very proper modeling. Some tiny scratchbuilding would be required.

3-) The JA has an additional actuator under the inboard elevons. But that is the easiest one to convert, you will just need to cancel it, assuming that Jetmads have not missed that actuator and its provisions. 

4-) We know by previous parts images that cannon is not integral to the fuselage, which is good and may help an easier conversion. But keeping in mind that all JA's have a cannon, I wonder if the designers bothered to make any panel lines under it. So one would have to scribe all the underside panels but the problem is that they are different on AJ than JA, not only underside ones but the ones stretching to the sides of the fuselage too. 

5-) Fuel tank has 3 fins on AJ, where the JA has 4.

6-) The air scoops/intakes in front of the feul tank pylon are totally different.

7-) The fin of the vertical stabilizer has to be removed. It would have been easier if it was a separate part but the diagram and the facebook photos of the part show it is one piece. Could be done, but a new cap and antenna would be needed, both to be scratchbuilt.

8-) The leading edge profile of the vertical fin is totally different and has a "tooth", with that protruding antenna stuff on the JA. It is straight on the AJ.

9-) CAD images of the kit show it is totally loaded for air-to-air missions, with all those missiles. The AJ would need a separate set of weapons and now that this is the only kit in town in this scale, I am not sure if any of the Rb-05 and the Rb-04 missiles would be available. And that for me is the showstopper, because I would not bother to build an AJ, let alone convert it, without these chunky Rb-04 anti-ship missiles.

10-) Some aditional decals will be required, but I'm assuming these could be printed.

I've tried to make a short (!) list of what needs to be done and I hope this helps. Ask me how I know! That was what I had in mind when I ordered the second copy, but after some research only to figure out the list above, and if there is nothing else I miss,  I thought it would be a better idea until the AJ comes as an original release.

Matt

7 hours ago, mattcour said:

They all look very similar, the Viggens, but converting a JA to an AJ may take some serious work. I'll try to sum up what I know of the differences between the two:

Thank you for this detailed explanation and your time to put it here, that is really good information and reference!

15 hours ago, mattcour said:

1-) JA is 13cm longer than the AJ. In fact, it is 16cm longer but the nose pitot tube is 3cm shorter, so 13cm in all. The mid fuselage is made 16 cm longer to accomodate the new engine, so you would have to properly cut 5mm in this scale off the mide fuselage where it meets the front fuselage. I see from this latest diagram that the formation lights do not end where the two fuselage sections meet, which means that Jetmads have done a right design. Now you would need an untrembling hand to slice it by 5mm, but even so it probably will not fit to the front section properly.

2-) AJ has different weapon systems, obviously, and has relevant controls and eqıipment in the cockpit. I measure that this is a large and visible cockpit and using the cockpit of the kit for an AJ would not be a very proper modeling. Some tiny scratchbuilding would be required.

3-) The JA has an additional actuator under the inboard elevons. But that is the easiest one to convert, you will just need to cancel it, assuming that Jetmads have not missed that actuator and its provisions. 

4-) We know by previous parts images that cannon is not integral to the fuselage, which is good and may help an easier conversion. But keeping in mind that all JA's have a cannon, I wonder if the designers bothered to make any panel lines under it. So one would have to scribe all the underside panels but the problem is that they are different on AJ than JA, not only underside ones but the ones stretching to the sides of the fuselage too. 

5-) Fuel tank has 3 fins on AJ, where the JA has 4.

6-) The air scoops/intakes in front of the feul tank pylon are totally different.

7-) The fin of the vertical stabilizer has to be removed. It would have been easier if it was a separate part but the diagram and the facebook photos of the part show it is one piece. Could be done, but a new cap and antenna would be needed, both to be scratchbuilt.

8-) The leading edge profile of the vertical fin is totally different and has a "tooth", with that protruding antenna stuff on the JA. It is straight on the AJ.

9-) CAD images of the kit show it is totally loaded for air-to-air missions, with all those missiles. The AJ would need a separate set of weapons and now that this is the only kit in town in this scale, I am not sure if any of the Rb-05 and the Rb-04 missiles would be available. And that for me is the showstopper, because I would not bother to build an AJ, let alone convert it, without these chunky Rb-04 anti-ship missiles.

10-) Some aditional decals will be required, but I'm assuming these could be printed.

I've tried to make a short (!) list of what needs to be done and I hope this helps. Ask me how I know! That was what I had in mind when I ordered the second copy, but after some research only to figure out the list above, and if there is nothing else I miss,  I thought it would be a better idea until the AJ comes as an original release.

Matt

Add to that list:

- AJ's had only one vortex generator on the canards, compared to two for the JA's

- Position lights on the wing tips are in a different location (and different shape)

- Rear RWR is different

- two sets of small air scoops in the upper fairings on the thrust reverser section are unique to JA's

- the flame holders of the RM8B are somewhat different (simplified) compared to the RM8A (but that would be hardly visible).

And, of course, the cockpit. Too many differences to even mention them ...

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann
Typo