1/32nd Spad from Trumpeter, circa 1964

simmerit

I've enjoyed watching the builds on Large Scale Planes for some time now, and only posted a couple of times I think in the last few years.  Most of my modelling posts are on ARRSE  for those of you that know it.  A few of us got a general modelling forum up and running on the site which has proved to be helpful for lads (and lasses) with issues following their time in service.  I wont bore you with the details but the medical term in 'mindfulness' - modelling is a great escape from people's daemons.  Anyway - this is my second 1/32nd build and I chose the Spad, which is my all time No1 in my top 10 of piston engine planes.  It's about 7 months graft (elapsed time).

Its a fascinating plane, carrying a greater payload than the B-17.  I spent quite a bit of time researching it, and one of the many interesting facts is it carried 40 gallons of oil, most of which ended up on the fuselage following missions.  Most of the pictures you see show light coverings of oil, but believe me, it was generally minging when landing - source was an old lad who used to work on them in the 60s in 'nam on aircraft carriers.

The model is largely out of the box.  Eduard etch used on the engine which I decided to expose in the end as it turned out OK - the ZM one is obviously stunning and I thought the Trumpeter engine wasn't good enough to expose, but a bit of graft got it there in the end.  Cockpit is Aires which I wish I hadn't installed as the fit was awful and it caused no end of problems with joining the fuselage.  The kit cockpit is good enough IMHO.  The tanks are red as the ground crew had a habit of painting things for amusements sake - tanks were red one Christmas - I suppose you could call it festive spirit.  Just before they bombed the North Vietnamese.

Ordnance is after market and cost a small fortune.  I'd have been better off getting a ZM ordnance pack or a ZM Spad kit in the end when I tally up the spend on it......  LAU-3s are from video aviation.  Most of the rest is Eduard Brassin.  I left the rubber tyres on in the end and an AMS prop is winging its way to blighty from Aus as we speak as the Trumpeter prop is not the best.  Nuff said - here is the build.

50270224171_a30df95649_b.jpg

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

Spad

50270534737_e41d1e7d29_b.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.  I'm now on with a Korean Spad and the third Spad kit arrived a couple of weeks ago....

Edited by simmerit

Your build is awesome!  Very detailed with realistic weathering!  Beautiful!  A question though as I'm ignorant on the subject.  Were the wing routinely folded with ordnance attatched?  Was it an issue with the mechanism?  Thanks!

Dave

23 minutes ago, mbrman said:

Your build is awesome!  Very detailed with realistic weathering!  Beautiful!  A question though as I'm ignorant on the subject.  Were the wing routinely folded with ordnance attatched?  Was it an issue with the mechanism?  Thanks!

Dave

yes they were folded when fully bombed up.  There is a lot of reference material out there with different mixes of payloads with wings folded up.  

Edited by simmerit

1 hour ago, mbrman said:

Dave

F66797-DD-B85-A-4-BEA-9-C90-51-F9599-E7-

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, simmerit said:

The tanks are red as the ground crew had a habit of painting things for amusements sake - tanks were red one Christmas - I suppose you could call it festive spirit.  Just before they bombed the North Vietnamese.

FYI the colour red indicates that the tanks are fire bombs. ;)