Don Gentile's P-51B Shangri-La

On 9/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, George said:

Good Morning Gents:

I have two questions for the P-51B.  I read reports that cockpit floor was either black or wood.  I also read the boxes behind the pilot's seat are either black, gray or mix of black or gray boxes.  Can someone answer these questions? Thanks. All the best, George

On 9/5/2020 at 12:33 PM, Juggernut said:

Black flooring (wooden on some warbird replicas - not authentic)  Boxes behind the cockpit are generally black radio/battery and associated equipment.

5 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'Black flooring (wooden on some warbird replicas - not authentic)'

'Yes, the floors were plywood but in every case, they were covered with a very durable black non-slip coating.  Might have some sections showing bare wood due to wear and tear but you won't seen a nice, shiny wood cockpit floor on anything except a warbird.'

I'm aware.  Thank you.  The above comment infers that black flooring is authentic and wooden flooring is not authentic.  And that is not the case.  Black flooring is not authentic.  Wood flooring is authentic.  To be accurate, it should have read: Black (non-slip) coating on wood flooring (clear varnished or raw wood on some warbird replicas-not authentic), because that's what it is.

Sincerely,

Mark

And the overarching theme in the subject posts is color, not materials.

Gents:

What about the pitot tube for the P-51B Mustang?  Would it reasonable to assume that the pitot tube was entirely bare metal or partly Neutral Gray No. 43 and bare metal for the lower part that is parallel to the wing?  George

3 hours ago, George said:

Gents:

What about the pitot tube for the P-51B Mustang?  Would it reasonable to assume that the pitot tube was entirely bare metal or partly Neutral Gray No. 43 and bare metal for the lower part that is parallel to the wing?  George

Well, to use your terms, the vertical portion would be grey and the lower part, parallel to the wing would be bare metal.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:19 AM, fastterry said:

George I think the kind folks here are trying to avoid the elephant in the room. The Revell 1/32 P-51B kit is probably the worst of the bunch of WW2 fighters produced by them. Until Zoukei Mura comes up with theirs the best thing is to use the Revell kit as a paint mule rather than spending time agonising over the colour of the tailwheel. The Trumpeter kit is only marginally better so it will have to be ZM to the rescue. My two bobs.

TRF

I agree. Waiting for this one from Zoukei Mura as well. In the meantime I worked on flight jacket art...sketching the nose art.