Don Gentile's P-51B Shangri-La

21 hours ago, George said:

Good Morning Gents.  Assuming the cockpit color is dark dull green, would it be safe to assume the interior canopy frame was also painted dark dull green?  Thanks, George

hi George.  The cockpit is not dull dark green,.  From what I’ve read and seen, it’s NAA’s version of interior green (ANA611 is close). .  Yes, the interior of the canopy frames would be the same color.  

Edited by Juggernut

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Apparently different info , hmmm

k505duz.jpg

:shrug:

According to Michael O'Leary in his book Building the P-51 Mustang, The Story of Manufacturing North American's Legendary World War II Fighter in Original Photos on page 46, from the first British Mustangs, the floor was ANA612 (metal floor - top of wing - THIS is what is painted dull dark green...not applicable  to wooden floor P-51B/C models), "... sides and bulkheads of cockpit  up to and including the Mk III's (aka P-51B/C) - Yellow Green.  Below that is a note:  "Yellow Green: 1-Gallon of Zinc chromate yellow Primer, 1- gallon toloune substitute, 1 gallon Black enamel or paste.  Originally the specification for Yellow Green included 4 ounces of Aluminum powder but this was eventually deleted.  The "mixed color" resulting from the above was coded with ANA611" (aka NAA Green).  Throughout the book there are copious references to "Yellow Green" associated with the P-51B/C  Mustang and photographic evidence supports the contemporaneous use of a shade of green, lighter than ANA612 and/or Bronze Green.  The seat in the Mustang was also painted ANA612 (dull dark green).

Whether the above stated mix is closer to olive drab or the commonly accepted "interior green" remains to be determined but the color is definitely not dull dark green (as is seen in P-47D cockpits).  I've taken hobby paints of the two colors referenced above and while not definitive, when mixed together in a 1:1 ratio, the color is a little darker than formulated ANA611 but nowhere near as dark as dull dark green (ANA612).

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Not arguing, just sayin'. I think your source is correct.  

IrdWqRS.gif

No worries Mike, it's all good.  It's just my never ending "attempt" to add clarity to an extremely muddy pond of information (sometimes accurately, other times not-so-much but always with the best information I have at my disposal).  With respect to this period in aviation history, I'm afraid that clarity on many color issues is akin to unobtainium, never to be truly determined and any feeble attempts by me are labor lost....but yet I try.

Good Morning Gents:

I have two questions for the P-51B.  I read reports that cockpit floor was either black or wood.  I also read the boxes behind the pilot's seat are either black, gray or mix of black or gray boxes.  Can someone answer these questions? Thanks. All the best, George

4 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'wooden on some warbird replicas - not authentic'

It may not be authentic, but the drawings (102-53051, and others) spec the flooring as wood.

Sincerely,

Mark

Yes, the floors were plywood but in every case, they were covered with a very durable black non-slip coating.  Might have some sections showing bare wood due to wear and tear but you won't seen a nice, shiny wood cockpit floor on anything except a warbird. 

5 hours ago, John1 said:

Yes, the floors were plywood but in every case, they were covered with a very durable black non-slip coating.  Might have some sections showing bare wood due to wear and tear but you won't seen a nice, shiny wood cockpit floor on anything except a warbird. 

Precisely....

The below screen grabs are from the P-51D floor (part numbers may be different between B and D) but the process and the materials are probably identical.

By5Uh6Y.png

hgDBkk7.png

AYevvzf.png

D9JDcaK.png

Edited by Juggernut

'Black flooring (wooden on some warbird replicas - not authentic)'

'Yes, the floors were plywood but in every case, they were covered with a very durable black non-slip coating.  Might have some sections showing bare wood due to wear and tear but you won't seen a nice, shiny wood cockpit floor on anything except a warbird.'

I'm aware.  Thank you.  The above comment infers that black flooring is authentic and wooden flooring is not authentic.  And that is not the case.  Black flooring is not authentic.  Wood flooring is authentic.  To be accurate, it should have read: Black (non-slip) coating on wood flooring (clear varnished or raw wood on some warbird replicas-not authentic), because that's what it is.

Sincerely,

Mark