Revell 1:72 V2 in launch configuration

LSP_K2

17 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

This kit arrived yesterday. It does look good.  I will follow along and take notes for later. V2tocket.com is great. Thanks for posting it. 

Rick

All things considered, I think it's quite exceptional, having a more complete and accurate firing table than almost all of the 1:35 counterparts. And yes, the V2 rocket site is awesome stuff, the best I've yet found on the V2. Tracy himself is a real good guy, and very happy to talk V2 "stuff".

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

I saw a book that traces the journey from the V2  to the Redstone launch vehicle.  It got me going again on rockets. This V-2 kit will look nice next to my Redstone  and Atlas rocket families by Horizon Models.  

Yep, that book is most certainly on my list, but I'd really like to find it at a better price than I typically see.

A couple of things came to my attention recently, one being that of the eight leg/leveling jack braces provided by Revell, only six are actually used, the two at the entrance location of the towing trailer not being present, as it would have created interference issues, so I've now removed those two. The instructions themselves show them as being absent, but the photo of the finished rig show them attached; absent is correct. I've also replaced the bogus small diameter rod that I originally used for the turntable ratchet handle, with flat rectangular strip, as per the original. Four .010 thick plastic pieces were glued to leveling pad feet, as there was actually a tiny lip around them, which is not present on the Revell kit. Once trimmed close, these will (I hope), add a subtle additional detail to the turntable assembly. I also replaced the small blob at the front of the rocket blast deflector assembly, with a more appropriate looking lug, the purpose of which is unknown to me, but probably served as an attachment of some sort for the trailer.

Note: the flat platform that is provided as an option for the rocket blast deflector (part #B18), was a real item used by the launch crews during rocket setup, but was removed prior to firing. Instructions regarding this platform are not clear at all, so naturally I added it, only to subsequently remove it and sand off all the glue marks. If you're depicting the rocket being setup for firing, great. If not, and intend to display it "ready to go", as I am doing, leave this platform off.

O3mnBs.jpg

Here's the rocket sitting on the launch platform, with fin #1 now properly identified, and positioned correctly in reference to the upper segment of the firing table. This configuration also properly aligns the rocket itself with the cable attachment spring loaded door and cable mast assembly apparatus, as well as both the five plug and oxygen top off connections (still to be added), so Revell really nailed it here. My apologies for the dumb looking way I had to do this. Perhaps I can get a better looking snap tomorrow.

Zm2Xfc.jpg

I had been seriously questioning if the rings depicting the connection point between the body and fin assembly was correct or not,... it most certainly is, even if perhaps a tad over scale. Granted, this is a cutaway museum example, but the rings do show up on any clear WWII image as well.

6G5HAl.jpg

(Photo used with permission from V2rocket.com.)

There was a split seam on the large fuel section of the rocket (both sides) that was covered by splice plates. The kit does not depict these, so I’ve went ahead and added them, using .010 x .060 strips. The seams on the real rocket, from what I’ve so far been able to determine,  unfortunately did not align with the fins, but would have been a great opportunity to hide the kit provided natural seams for this section if they had. Once thoroughly dry, I’ll sand these some for a better scale look.

muWQVu.jpg

Owing to a complete oversight on my part (coupled with a lack of clear information at the time), I'm going to just end up sticking the ground control cables to the side of the rocket, as I don't want to chop open the kit to add the plywood bulkheads, where the cables actually attached. So, spring loaded door open, yes, but no internal guts showing, which I will remedy on any 1:35 kit I do after this.

Owing to severe restrictions imposed by the small spring loaded door on the kit, it looks like about the best I'm going to be able to pull off is two .080 wide plugs, neither of which will fit two cables, let alone three (at least using one of the smallest punches that I still have), so I may just be stuck with these.

6yQznB.jpg

I decided to snatch the leveling pads off, so that I could better address some detailing of them; weld seams, tiny spacers and grease fitting blocks added. Still a wee bit more to do, but that should be easy stuff. Minor things, really, but will just add some additional "zing" to the presentation, hopefully. The other advantage to this “disassembly” was to give me access to drill out the trailer connection holes on the blast deflector, seen here on the right side of photo (not yet drilled). Drilling them while the assembly was intact, would have been near impossible, yet another oversight on my part, and a direct result of “oh cool, let’s hurry up and mindlessly glue things”. I'll also be adding the two catch releases each on the flip up panels of the blast deflector.

f9zSxc.jpg

Nyl9Xl.jpg

5 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Good work on tiny, tiny parts.  I am taking notes that I will include in my kit box. 

It's not all that I'd hoped for, but certainly not bad at all for a 1:72 scale kit. I rather imagine my stab at the 1:35 kit will be much better. I'm also kicking around the idea of grabbing the Space Monkey 1:24 kit, but unfortunately it does not come with a launch table, greatly limiting its display possibilities, so I may not bother with it,... still deciding on that one. Also, for whatever it's worth, avoid the Pegasus 1:48 scale kit like the plague. Where they dreamed up that launch table, is a complete mystery to me.

• 2 weeks later...