Teutonic Starfighter

Madmax

The story of the F-104G in the Luftwaffe is remarkable in itself, never mind the awe inspiring technological advances the aircraft embodied at its first flight only 9 years after the end of WWII. Despite many hardships in operating a total of 916 F-104s over a 30 year period, the Germans showed their Teutonic resolve, and made a success of their Starfighter program.

It has been very satisfying building this model, and the research that went with it has given me a better perspective on the much hyped "Widow-maker". It is a beautiful aircraft to look at, and regardless of some typical Italeri niggles, the kit captures the lines very well. I eventually chose to build one of JaboG 31's "Jagdbomber(s)", as that was the primary role of the Luftwaffe's F-104G's. Should you be interested, here is a link to the build thread:  

For a change, I think I should just let the photo's tell the story...

IMG_3726-X2.jpg

IMG_3550-X2.jpg

IMG_3598-X2.jpg

IMG_3616-X2.jpg

IMG_3623-X2.jpg

IMG_3627-X2.jpg

IMG_3628-X2.jpg

IMG_3640-X2.jpg

IMG_3672-X2.jpg

IMG_3679-X2.jpg

IMG_3684-X2.jpg

IMG_3739-X2.jpg

IMG_3697-X2.jpg

IMG_3702-X2.jpg

IMG_3748-X2.jpg

IMG_3753-X2.jpg

IMG_3717-X2.jpg

IMG_3646-X2.jpg

Cheers,

Sean

Vielen Dank Lothar, thank you HL-10, Mark - you have been a great supporter of this build :lol:, Chuck - an endorsement of my paintwork from you is a real treat!

Thank you Kurok, Brian (an evergreen voice of support) and allthumbs (which I trust you are not)!

Joachim, I actually did paint the mirrors silver initially and I suspect that I forgot to mask them when I sprayed the grey :doh:. Well spotted - you certainly have an eye for detail! I see that some of the mirrors are painted black on the reverse side (presumably to limit reflection in the  canopy), which you might add to your TF...

"Cracker" is such a wonderfully English compliment, thanks Max. Barry, that profile pic of yours... brilliant, and thanks for the comment. Gaz, always good to see your young Frankenstein visage - and thank you! 

Fantastic work! To be honest, I never really paid attention to the dimensions of this bird, but your one overhead shot made me realize that the wings were really just there in theory! :lol:

If ever an aircraft was "a missile with a pilot strapped to it", this is the one!

Great work, and great photos!