ICM VS RODEN PT-17 Stearman Side-By-Side Comparison

JimRice

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

ICM has a long history of boxing its kits in multiple variants (I’ve lost track of the number of I-16 kits).  Given that all of the Lycoming parts are on a separate sprue, it’s 100% guaranteed they’ll do a Jacobs powered PT-13.

4 hours ago, JimRice said:

I didn’t use it on my Roden.  They weren’t used in Military service.  Several modern restorations have them.  They were popular before shielded wires became the norm and a radio was needed.  Now a days, the ignition shielding is inside the wiring harness negating the need for the forward mounted shilling harness.  

My Stearman has a Continental W670 engine with the front harness, so I will need one.

Steve

I can second the observation about the fragile cockpit on the ICM kit... my Hannants order arrived last night, and upon opening the box this morning, all the cockpit frames were broken in at least one place. Easy enough to fix though! Really is a very nice kit, and I look forward to building it. Hoping for some additional decal options, which are no doubt headed our way in the near future.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

The box art isn’t representative of the current kit as, in addition to the R-985 it also has Hamilton Standard constant speed/variable pitch prop, Redline brakes and a T-6 tailwheel/tire missing the boot. The artwork looks like a photo of a modern restored Stearman that has had a bunch of digital doctoring. 

4 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

Care to post a photo of your Stearman and include some of the wings and control surfaces?  Thanks in advance if you can.

There is a walk around of my plane in the section here on this very site! Can't remember if any of the photos show that in massive detail.

Steve