Fantastic Plastic 1/144 Nuclear Bomber

LSP_Kevin

9 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

Fun fact: "Stratigic Command" was created in 1992. If you're going for 'period correctness', the USAF predecessor was "Stratigic Air Command" between 1947 and 1992. 

o2Xi8RI.jpg

HTH,

D

Yeah, I know. I used the later one because it's round, and fits the base better! As far as I'm concerned, this is a sci-fi project, so any connection with reality is tenuous at best. That doesn't explain why I know feel compelled to put the markings on perpendicular to the centreline, however!

Kev

A quick update. I've managed to finish the base, but I'm not especially happy with it:

tQveWx.jpg

I found a wooden skewer that fit very neatly inside the brass tube, so I cut it to length and super-glued it in place, hoping it might provide some additional strength and stiffness to the support. The brass tube itself is embedded into the base with Milliput, but I suspect my mix ratio was off, because after more than 12 hours, it still remains slightly soft, so I'm not sure how well this is going to work.

The other thing I'm not happy with is that the clear gloss acrylic sealant spray I used for the print has turned all the white areas into a dull grey; the photo belies it somewhat, but in person it's much more noticeable. Still, it's great to be making progress on something, and it's a good learning exercise.

I've also managed to rehabilitate the kit fins for the crew pod:

zNc30D.jpg

They were incredibly mis-moulded into the rear half of the pod. I sliced them off, cleaned them up, glued them back on, and then tried to even up the two sides of each one. They still need some work, but are getting there. Another coat of primer is due next, but I'll have to mask off the canopy first - as soon as I can work out exactly what shape it's supposed to be!

Kev

3 minutes ago, chrish said:

That’s dedication!

Thanks, Chris. To be honest, I was hoping to be done with this one by now - slap it together, slap some paint on, decals, base and done! But none of my builds are ever that way.

Kev

A little more work, and then I thought I might test-fit the model to the stand:

0TDbtU.jpg

I've also fitted the crew pod for the sake of the exercise. It's going to take a bit of work to blend in, but nothing a bit of filler won't fix. This won't be any competition model when it's finished, but hopefully will look interesting enough in the display case. Happily, the brass support tube seems to be holding up well, and the whole thing is taking the weight of the model without any issues.

Kev

44 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Wonder if that's what inspired ILM to create the B-Wing?

Could be! The asymmetry is certainly striking. No idea how widely known this design is, though. I certainly knew nothing about it prior to pulling the kit pieces out of the box.

Kev

I've been away from this build for a few days, but I've finally been able to get the base layer of silver on:

N7evmH.jpg

Tamiya AS-12, decanted for airbrushing. There continue to be plenty of surface flaws that I would ordinarily still be trying to deal with, but this is not that kind of project, and I'm keen to keep it moving towards the finish line. The next step is to start masking off and spraying some panel variations, along with the black de-icing boot along the front (I'm guessing that's what it's supposed to be).

More soon!

Kev

I managed to spend most of today masking and painting panels on the atomic boomerang, so I thought I'd post a couple of photos as proof. They're basically the same photo, but taken against two different backgrounds in an attempt to capture the naked-eye colours accurately. First, the standard light blue background:

G8x62s.jpg

Looks good, but gives a bronze cast to the colours. The one below, taken against a white background, is much closer to reality:

Q600IB.jpg

I had intended to do even more panel variations, but got a bit sick of it, and decided enough was enough. I still have to to the black canopy framing and nose cone on the crew pod, and then I can probably start applying the decals. Both supplied USAF decals are scuffed up and slightly damaged, so I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to finally use my Silhouette Portrait machine and make some masks!

Kev

An exciting update, this one! Firstly, it's because apart from sealing the decals with a gloss coat and mounting it on the base, it's done!

hmnnTK.jpg

The decals were by JBOT, and must have been laser-printed or something, as the carrier film was across the entire sheet, and the printing started to disintegrate with any kind of handling at all. Pretty much rubbish, really.

Having already noticed the damage the the USAF decals, I pulled up my sleeves and finally broke out my Silhouette Portrait machine and cut masks to replace them. I've had the machine sitting next to me on my desk for more than 2 years now, so this is a major breakthrough for me! And they turned out really well, too:

ZbWWMk.jpg

Much better than my wobbly panel scribing, anyway. In fact, there a lots of things about this build that I don't like or am not happy with, but I refuse to worry about them, lest this project turns into something that saps my mojo, rather than restores it.

Hopefully the next update will feature the completed model mounted on its stand.

Thanks as always for looking!

Kev

That turned out nice, Kev, for a resin kit I had hoped to be a bit of fun! Sorry about the lousy casting; I had really never looked closely at the parts, I just thought it looked like an interesting design. I have a couple other kits of theirs, now you have me worried. The Jbot decals are best treated first with an acrylic clear coat. I do the same with my self-generated decals.