G-Factor gears. Polishing. brass

Hi Gent's,

I recall a few members discussing the G-factor brass gears sets and the need to polishing these brass sets?  I have several sets and the castings looks pretty good to me?   My question is related to the actual polishing on these gears for a better appearance or do the sets appear to be rather grainy in some respects?  Just wanting a few opinions on what everyone is thinking here.  THANKS.  I Love the G-faCtor but not quite getting the polishing aspects...  Thanks for the comets.  Maybe I should put on my optivisor?  

What are you using to do the polishing?  

Many thanks for all your replies.  

Troy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 1:12 AM, Troy Molitor said:

Hi Gent's,

I recall a few members discussing the G-factor brass gears sets and the need to polishing these brass sets?  I have several sets and the castings looks pretty good to me?   My question is related to the actual polishing on these gears for a better appearance or do the sets appear to be rather grainy in some respects?  Just wanting a few opinions on what everyone is thinking here.  THANKS.  I Love the G-faCtor but not quite getting the polishing aspects...  Thanks for the comets.  Maybe I should put on my optivisor?  

What are you using to do the polishing?  

Many thanks for all your replies.  

Troy 

Hi Troy I wonder whether Brasso will do the trick? 

Hi All,

About how to get this finishing polish on brass or any alloy what do you use for? after eliminating burrs...

polishing sponge? of which grind? any company?

Who knows this product?

https://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/finishing-products/134-super-shiner.html

https://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/finishing-products/3-2-way-polishing-block.html

are they correct and smooth enough?

And through "Flex-i-file"any recommended products?

Many thanks in advance

Raph

I remove flash with small files. I smooth the surfaces using a sequence of Flexi-file grits with their loop sanding bracket. These brass/bronze parts are very hard metal and the work can be tough.

The 500 grit does a pretty good polish job on the oleo cylinder.  This area gets black primer before chrome metal paint so minor scratches are tolerable. 

Note, I tried to use a small Dremel wire wheel but the part and the wheel were hard to control safely. 

I do not use brass polish because most have a wax in them; paint will not stick.

I rinse the parts in lacquer thinner before I prime with Mr Surfacer 1000 then sometimes gloss black if the legs will be painted with metallic paints.  

HTH