1/32 Meng Dr. I sprue photos - close ups. Very photo heavy

Juggernut

Ok, we know what the sprues look like overall and in some cases, I think we have some detail shots.  This is primarily for those who may be interested and those who have not yet acquired the kit. I have taken photos of all the plastic sprues in the kit and selected detail shots of most of the plastic parts on those sprues.  I am not that knowledgeable about the  WWI/Dr.I/F.1 so I'll let the photos speak for themselves and you all can discuss the finer points of what you see in these photos.  Without further adoo......

Wing details:

E4WOQei.jpg

yNZ3YtP.jpg

JXt55Pl.jpg

dsiYmx6.jpg

SxfKPtf.jpg

gPlS07v.jpg

SuFstiY.jpg

IbE6NDU.jpg

Above: Middle wing underside...rib stitching is not concave as I remember seeing in the Roden kit.

QaaFAG7.jpg

xzUC8SW.jpg

Fuselage

4bUCsUs.jpg

k7jZG3o.jpg

vfIhHnC.jpg

Note the ejector pin marks in the above image...I don't think these will present a problem.

ed1ShT8.jpg

TStPAgg.jpg

CM6KO5N.jpg

t4ISnQj.jpg

UN8iRSz.jpg

FpKzcbm.jpg

gKL3rAd.jpg

qsQTh9H.jpg

95POz34.jpg

Props

Reulg6v.jpg

LSY0Mww.jpg

Dr. I horizontal tail

6N0aYcg.jpg

Dr. I rudder

zjYBgvn.jpg

Dr. I wheels

Ia5T2Kx.jpg

ApQl3kQ.jpg

I think the following images are for the F.I (sprue F)

909QXAB.jpg

pSc7prn.jpg

Qzp1TCR.jpg

m4kMCiZ.jpg

pbAziHU.jpg

I think this is a Dr. I sprue (below)

qeUrSPD.jpg

ibkIoJt.jpg

HPrAbEI.jpg

EySvLHL.jpg

SfVOLqF.jpg

Engines

1xy0YWX.jpg

uE6kgUt.jpg

ApFg0y4.jpg

TrLekw5.jpg

2LJ4XSl.jpg

Last but not least, the clear parts

fPWtrGz.jpg

Edited by Juggernut
added more images.

Could it be PE parts cast into the plastic for the elevator control horns - if not they might be in danger of breaking off during construction...

Is it just me or is the rib tape/stitching a little too 'high' ? Look at it as it wraps around the leading edge (good job btw casting that withoug loosing detail)... I dont think It'll keep me from buying the kit, nor will i correct it but I think it is a little overdone... Mind you, could be the light/picture

Nice details.

'rib stitching is not concave'

Without sounding like I'm all that, the fabric is what would be concave.  The fabric would curve inward because of the ribbing.  Thus, 'cave'.

Should the stitching have a rounded cross section at its' top, and not flat, it would be convex.

Just say'.  Don't want to step on anyone.

Sincerely,

Mark

4 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Nice details.

'rib stitching is not concave'

Without sounding like I'm all that, the fabric is what would be concave.  The fabric would curve inward because of the ribbing.  Thus, 'cave'.

Should the stitching have a rounded cross section at its' top, and not flat, it would be convex.

Just say'.  Don't want to step on anyone.

Sincerely,

Mark

I only have experience rib stitching a Fairchild 24 using modern-ish fabric (Ceconite) and from my experience, there is no recessed point where the fabric on either side of the rib stitching bulges out to form a gully of sorts.  If done correctly, it's drumskin tight even before the layers of dope are applied (anti-fungal, aluminum, and color coats).  Maybe the Meng representation is incorrect, maybe it's not, I cannot say for certain as I have little knowledge of the F.I/Dr.I.

I do agree that the stitching should not have a "riveted" look so in that respect I think there's an error.  That is unless the fabric was screwed to the ribs...then it's appropriate.  Again, I just don't know enough to say one way or the other. 

From another forum there is comments implying that the tapes may have been nailed per Richard Alexander formerly of WNW:

I don't know if you follow FB but Richard Alexander posted some Pretty Convincing photos showing that the rib tapes were NAILED

I do not follow FB so was unable to find the pics referred to (they do not seem to be in the public area of the WNW fan FB page anyway)

15 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

I do agree that the stitching should not have a "riveted" look so in that respect I think there's an error.  That is unless the fabric was screwed to the ribs...then it's appropriate.  Again, I just don't know enough to say one way or the other. 

As referenced above, there's a discussion of this kit on Facebook, where Richard Alexander talks about the fact that the rib tapes on the Dr I were nailed into place, rather than stitched. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

Kev

40 minutes ago, petrov27 said:

From another forum there is comments implying that the tapes may have been nailed per Richard Alexander formerly of WNW:

I don't know if you follow FB but Richard Alexander posted some Pretty Convincing photos showing that the rib tapes were NAILED

I do not follow FB so was unable to find the pics referred to (they do not seem to be in the public area of the WNW fan FB page anyway)

31 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

As referenced above, there's a discussion of this kit on Facebook, where Richard Alexander talks about the fact that the rib tapes on the Dr I were nailed into place, rather than stitched. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

Kev

Nice.  I hadn't considered nails....  If the fabric was nailed on then the kit certainly seems to represent that fairly well, IMO. Kind of resembles upholstery nails.  Maybe the fabric was sandwiched between the ribs and a corresponding strip of wood and then nailed in place.  That would certainly explain why the "rib tape" is so pronounced.

Edited by Juggernut