A poll (of sorts); do you stay focused on one model project?

LSP_K2

Short answer, no. I have serious A.D.D. with respect to anything creative. I have at least 10 model related projects in various stages of completion, a custom rifle stock, and a car restoration, and I bounce around as my interest takes me. The past week or two it's been the car project. Next week, who knows?

12 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Do you fellas generally stay focused on finishing one model at a time, without being distracted by working on other models, or meander from project to project, as I frequently do?

Just curious.

:rofl: Are you kidding me, where's the fun in that!

Barry

Very interesting question. I usually start thinking about my next project while working on my present build. I already know what it will look like before I start ( NMF or camo). Before starting, I write a list on paper what needs to be done ( all the sub assemblies) and cross each one off as I complete each assignment. I guess it’s my old habit of writing a business plan for each year. This new process begins when I get to painting my current build and I gather all the necessary spare parts or AM parts I have for the new build. Currently, I’m working on a 1/32 Hasegawa P-47 and now I’m gathering all my stuff for my Revel Mustang.

OCD,

Jim

One at a time only. A build can and has hit a full stop and been boxed up and re-shelved possibly never to be finished. With lockdown and stuck at home awaiting a new teaching term I have revisited the “shelf of doom” and cleaned up all but one kit there...still one at a time only though.

The neat thing about LSP models is that each assembly can be a kit/project of its own, cockpit detailing and building, gear bays, bomb bays etc.  (from what I’ve seen here and done myself) are projects themselves that are eventually included into an attractive carrying case of a completed model.

Interesting answers, folks. My particular frustration lies in the fact that I bounce all over the place, sometimes doing quite a lot of modeling through a year, yet finishing nothing. I'm glad to hear it's not all that unusual. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me.

Only 1 build at a time for me. 

Would be hard for me to keep my interest in multiple builds at the same time.

Would not have the time for more than 1 at a time either. 

I just hope when I retire next year, I will be able to finish something in under 3 months.

Actually got 3 built so far this year, so doing a little better.

I tried building two kits at once, once.  Never again.  Neither came out well, and the project took me forever.  So from then on, I've concentrated on one kit at a time.  This is a kind of therapy for me as like others here, I usually have the attention span of a gold fish, and similar memory retention.  This explains my school reports and grades too. :rolleyes:

So I only build what interests me, in which case I swing to the polar opposite and get lost to the exclusion of all else but my model, and know every detail on that plane.  However, my present build is making me go :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2: with all it's issues and accidents.  The latest thing is that the second coat of clear won't dry in places.  I'd stick it in the sun to dry, but it's winter here and the last of a storm is blowing through.  This is the first and last time I will take a model off the shelf of doom and try again.  All others will go to the tip.  But I will recycle the box. :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

ha - this is a question I ask myself on a regular basis. I'm now 2 years into my star destroyer build with more to go yet. However, I need to take a break every few months to build something else so I don't burn myself out on it. Seems that most modellers who undertake long and complex builds need to take a break, so your definitely not alone. I tend to find I have a renewed interest after building something else.

I also do 1 build at a time! If I loose interest in a built I don't build anything else, till the interest returns.

Once I had a few shelf queens which were taking up space, which is very limited in my hobbyroom.

So I decided to finish them all, but it was a bit frustrating as I had forgotten all the things I already did on them and what my plans were.

But I always know what the next project will be. Now I am building a 1/35 BR52 Kriegslokomotive, which will be followed by a 1/16 RC Tiger 1 from Tamiya.

The good thing is that I have 2 places were I live, In the Netherlands (mainly) and in Germany, on average 1 weekend a month. In Germany (Dusseldorf area) I build 1/32 planes. 

Currently I'm building a Polish Tigermeet F16 (Academy) which will be followed by a Turkish F4e (Revell).

I have vacation in September, so hopefully have enough time to finish the F16.

With regards,

Rob Wernars

I think "meander" is a very nice way to say "wander aimlessly from project to project" :lol:

I have roughly 4-5 projects going on at one time. When the muse strikes me, I can stay focused on the same one for days, until the muse from another project pops into my head. There have many times where, while working on project A, an idea for project B will crop up. Project A will be set aside, as project B takes over. Then C, then D, etc...

One thing I do like about it, is that it tends to keep me from burning out or becoming too frustrated with any one project. On the other hand, it also contributes quite a bit to the assumption my work area is in total disarray!

FYI-I currently 3 armor and 2 aircraft dios in progress, as well as 2 dozen game figures I'm painting for a friend. :frantic: