Test Build: 1:32 Flying Start Models Tornado F Mk.3 Conversion (Revell base)

Iain

Try Xtracrylix paints to pour down the intake instead - for colour.  You will need to give it a few rounds of MrSurfacer and sanding to make it smooth, but the Xtracylix paint will dry hard enough to micromesh if needed - provided it has a "tooth" to grip on to.  Tamiya acrylics I find will "dry", but not "cure", whereas the Xtracrylics will actually cure in my experience.  Using their gloss white for all my intake pouring jobs that are too small to airbrush.

• 1 month later...

A little more progress...

I re-did the intakes with acrylic spray can paint - a lot tougher!

With a few really thick coats over the interior surface - with the excess allowed to drain off each time - and with a little sanding between each - I'm happy with the result!

So that meant I could mark out and drill the holes in the underside to accept Tim's printed rear missile fairings.

Which, in turn, meant I could assemble the rear upper and lower fuselage sections.

And, well, that meant adding the nose at the same time...

So this is what I now have, ready for some sanding to blend everything together:

48b427_da2ee7ac759841f4839f48925ef2bccd~

48b427_a5ce2d071c874e3588f4162b2cbd22d2~

48b427_8193ab120b8c4680a90970c85ecef209~

Tim's parts all fit perfectly - but the two differing print process do result in parts that need careful preparation before fitting, to ensure everything is aligned correctly.

The advantages of having the larger parts FDM printed in HIPS are readily apparent and, despite all of the surgery, the airframe is now far sturdier than the original Revell assembly!

And, yes, the wing gloves aren't correct yet for the ADV variants - that will follow...  :)

More soon, perhaps...

Blue skies,

Iain

• 3 months later...

As a late entrant to the followers, I can only respect the work that's gone into this build.

I want to do an F3 as part of a long term build, based on the (cheaper) Revell GR1 kit - but the conversion to F3 is eluding me.

As a newbie, it seems a little cheeky to ask if your printed / resin parts will ever be offered - but if they ever were, I'd be interested.

In the meantime I've got a couple of (small) scale Tornados to build, but I'm following this thread in the same manner as everyone else.

16 hours ago, will2017 said:

As a late entrant to the followers, I can only respect the work that's gone into this build.

I want to do an F3 as part of a long term build, based on the (cheaper) Revell GR1 kit - but the conversion to F3 is eluding me.

As a newbie, it seems a little cheeky to ask if your printed / resin parts will ever be offered - but if they ever were, I'd be interested.

In the meantime I've got a couple of (small) scale Tornados to build, but I'm following this thread in the same manner as everyone else.

Yes, that is the intention, I have a big box of bits already made, just a few more items to sort out. Bear in mind, it won't be a 'product', just a bag of bits, and some pointers to this thread! Iain and I have been working on it for ages now, so I hope to get these last few items done shortly. 

On 6/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, wunwinglow said:

Yes, that is the intention, I have a big box of bits already made, just a few more items to sort out. Bear in mind, it won't be a 'product', just a bag of bits, and some pointers to this thread! Iain and I have been working on it for ages now, so I hope to get these last few items done shortly. 

Now I'm really interested. Perhaps the 'Big Tornado' project can fly...  

• 8 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, wunwinglow said:

Shortly means.....? :-))

Iain - One query/comment  re the set ,  If you are modelling a post Granby F3 , there should be Chaff/Flare pods scabbed on the lower fuselage  . I noticed them when I was working on my F3 many years ago but as I have said before I need the set now 

2555_big.jpgI

Edited by Scotsman