Test Build: 1:32 Flying Start Models Tornado F Mk.3 Conversion (Revell base)

Iain

Back on the Tornado this evening, after getting sidetracked again with a few other projects - more in a separate post later!

A little progress on front and rear front panels - but it's dawned on me these can go in later from above - after the fuselage is buttones up:

48b427_2e40d61b07254a709d0598c10b4ce905~

And the 3D Printed nose smoothed and primered - the advantage of HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) is that it is the same as injection moulded plastic - so bonds to the kit parts with normal plastic glues, and behaves in exactly the same way when sanded.

The downside is that it can be tricky to print and needs higher temperatures on the printer - something Tim has been playing with for some time - and that expertise shows!

48b427_6b2b329f8d6f42bf8fc1c9070c95e150~

48b427_0844f4fa8c6b4ad1b94860c634ae1236~

Off to do some tweaks to the tub later...

Have FUN!

Iain

• 1 month later...

Rear section cut from upper fuselage - ready for fitment of tail extension. Follows panel lines that were extended from side to side and cut apart using a fresh No 11 Scalpel blade:

48b427_9813052fdc994d3b994e5c3285727ad1~

And lower fuselage - same process - plus another cut-out at the front to accept the new, 3D Printed, forward fuselage undertray:

48b427_8df1bb9228014a64a9ae91efb43e5b4c~

One weakness of the Revell 1:32 Tornado kits is, well, their weakness!

And it gets worse when you start cutting it up to make an F. Mk. 3...

Tim's set includes a new bulkhead that fits where the kit one goes, but is a lot more substantial. A few cuts to remove sections of moulded location strip and in she drops.

Note two things: I got it the wrong way around at first fitting - and Tim recommends this is bonded to the intake trunking before fitting in situ. I deviated as I wanted everything as stiff as possible, with the gear bays in place, for me to do final fitting of the front end.

48b427_030f23706b2e4bfd92313527875ae5b6~

The intake trunking placed in situ (no engine faces - yet:

48b427_d997eceb198a44fd81a18d8971cafed9~

There are 'layering' marks internally from the printing process - I've made a first pass with a flat brush loaded with solvent for initial smoothing - but more to go.

48b427_f779721994e54d569c72505428d9ce77~

48b427_7a3e315d246b498fb08e7727fb82038b~

As you can, hopefully, see - the design work Tim has done is quite exceptional - and the fit of the new 3D printed parts with the existing kit is quite superlative. Far better than any resin conversion could be, with the bonus that the new parts are Polystyrene - just like the kit parts!

Iain

Iain , as far as I can see the only fault obvious in this set is the fact that is isn't sitting on my workbench right now .. seriously I need this set in my life now, 

I wonder if paradoxically that this set is going to be more popular with the introduction of the Italeri GR4 as there are going to a load of Revell FGR1s in stash's that will never ne built as GRs , and this is a perfect use for them , I know that is true for me 

Now all we need is a comprehensive set of F3 makings 

Keep up the great work , I'm loving this build

I think you're spot on there - very much an ideal use for all those Revell kits!

But a little more patience just yet: Tim is quite a busy man at present - but he'll advise when he's ready to accept orders.  :)

Still a few parts to be done - wing-gloves being one example. And I have his development airframe: with current Covid restrictions it may be a few weeks before I can get it back to him.

Iain

16 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Well; I scratch built an F-3 in 32nd about 10 years ago and nothing appeared then!

Same I did the prototype and it’s now in the Boscombe Down Museum.

A big thanks to Iain & Tim though, fantastic effort:clap2:

just as extra info, I also frequent this forum and one discussion is:

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/637527-tornado-f3-asymmetric-engine-configuration.html

Edited by Stevepd

22 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Well; I scratch built an F-3 in 32nd about 10 years ago and nothing appeared then!

6 hours ago, Stevepd said:

Same I did the prototype and it’s now in the Boscombe Down Museum.

A big thanks to Iain & Tim though, fantastic effort:clap2:

just as extra info, I also frequent this forum and one discussion is:

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/637527-tornado-f3-asymmetric-engine-configuration.html

Same here, except mine was an F.2 converted from a GR.1 for the RAF Museum 35 years ago!

Your conversion looks really good (and accurate) Iain (and a big thanks to Tim for producing the test parts in the first place!).

Derek

Edited by Derek B