Test Build: 1:32 Flying Start Models Tornado F Mk.3 Conversion (Revell base)

Iain

I've been a little delayed on this over last few weeks...

Plan was to make resin copies of a few of the Aires parts, so that I could cut and shut/modify them to produces a reasonable F.Mk 3 cockpit.

However - could I find the fresh batch of Rubber and Resin I ordered from Sylmaster in June?

No. No I couldn't...

House turned upside down...

Garages turned upside down...

Shed turned upside down...

Followed by "must have taken to the office/studio" (50 miles away).

Office turned upside down...

Lots of muttering and about to order more this morning (not cheap) - but took a look upstairs at one of the wooden storage boxes we have - and, sure enough, there it sat.

I *really* can't remember putting the box in there.

I think it must be age...  :(

Anyway - means I can get back to the 'pit next week when I'm back in the office - as my vacuum chamber is 50 miles away - at work!   :frantic:

Might do some simple stuff on the Revell parts tomorrow - just to make a little progress.

Iain (the absent minded...)

In the office last two days - so Aires front and rear panels put into rubber yesterday, and a couple of extra copies cast today, using some old resin and without pressure pot as these don't need to be perfect in themselves.

48b427_021fcf5d604249dabaca5dacd442b4b2~

Note: these are for my own use - I need to cut them up into constituent parts so that I can modify specific areas, before re-assembling in F Mk.3 format.

A little progress again!

Iain

On 9/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, Iain said:

I think it must be age...  :(

I endured some ridicule when I posted in the course of some discussion or other a while back that my Monogram B-58 had gone AWOL. (How can anyone possibly ... something that large etc. etc).

I knew I hadn't only imagined having one because the two rudimentary decal sheets that came with it were in my decal shoe - well, boot box - really, but no sign of the kit. It was only when moving out of my old flat last year that I discovered that under the kitboxes sitting quite obviously on top of the wardrobe was a recessed space which very successfully held and hid the B-58. I had no recollection or knowledge of it even existing.

My sanity was relieved at being vindicated, although the mystery of its apparent disappearance for a dozen years or more had subjected it to a good shredding in the meantime.

9 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Nicely cast, Iain! :clap2:What resin do you use? 

Not a 'production' quality - but perfect for the parts I want to hack about!

Resin is standard G26 Polyurethane - but in this case about 5 years old, so a little thicker than new tins.

I keep resin past it's sell by date for backup jobs like filling and non-critical casting.

Iain

7 hours ago, Chek said:

I endured some ridicule when I posted in the course of some discussion or other a while back that my Monogram B-58 had gone AWOL. (How can anyone possibly ... something that large etc. etc).

I knew I hadn't only imagined having one because the two rudimentary decal sheets that came with it were in my decal shoe - well, boot box - really, but no sign of the kit. It was only when moving out of my old flat last year that I discovered that under the kitboxes sitting quite obviously on top of the wardrobe was a recessed space which very successfully held and hid the B-58. I had no recollection or knowledge of it even existing.

My sanity was relieved at being vindicated, although the mystery of its apparent disappearance for a dozen years or more had subjected it to a good shredding in the meantime.

Thanks Check - you've made me smile - good to know I'm not alone!  :)

Thing is - the box of fresh casting supplies only arrived in July - and I don't use the storage boxes I found them in. My wife never goes up there - so I must have put them in there at some point.

Oh well... 

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of sunshine on the patio this afternoon - so am opportunity to cut and sand the various castings I'd made for the Navigator's panel, without getting the house full of resin dust!

These are very rough shapes just now - but shout give me a head start on making an F3 looking rear cockpit:

48b427_4fadb782baa846ec844e8c26a412d616~

48b427_9ce509c391074b339a0db861b0fb9390~

48b427_6ce55ff906004b89870283a0ad299096~

Everything still needs properly squaring up - including the currently tapered screen casings - and the panel below needs a re.do to F3 pattern - but it's a start!

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

As noted at the beginning, Tim is still working on the components for this conversion.

One area he's improved since I started was to print a separate lower fuselage vent using the SLA process - which results in a beautifully neat/sharp drop in section to the lower missile recess insert:

48b427_dcd1dcfebaef407ebd177a7c3e8c87e2~

Upper one in the photo above is the new one...

48b427_aec7f7cfe5cb4083b1db6b00945d1fef~

The missile crutches are done using SLA printing as well:

48b427_b06186d0548043099aff0593233849db~

48b427_894819a67d1e4c7e83d401ba661d4ff9~

Back soon...

Iain

Last time I posted images of the fuselage modifications I was measuring up/cutting the front lower fuselage ready for the missile trough insert.

This is were we are now - dry fitted, but great fit:

48b427_c90780a4497c4577b62a64413b6fd62b~

The front cockpit coaming from the kit has been removed so that I can add the Aires resin cockpit.

Fit is excellent - only needing a few 'ledges' removing from the kit fuselage insides, and material removing from the bottom of the tub casting to enable it to clear the nose gear bay from the kit.

All tight - but perfect alignment:

48b427_76dd599dbc9d46d2b0607fe5e40f816c~

48b427_38531d0540f94ff5b45528493bc20b6e~

48b427_e51ca6740ef54270adb91f299f122fa9~

48b427_643cb82491384219aa8489fcb5b64606~

And starting work on the front panel changes - with new central CRT from one of the excellent airscale sets:

48b427_5684a996ca5a46debbf79145a30b85b7~

Fox one!

Iain

• 3 weeks later...