Test Build: 1:32 Flying Start Models Tornado F Mk.3 Conversion (Revell base)

Iain

Not from Black Box - but suspect that might now be the Avionix set?

I've gone this route as I love Aires stuff (yes, it can take some fitting) and the set probably provides a better basis detail/surfaces-wise for an F3 once modified.

From what I could glean from the other set I'd have been doing some re-working anyway - hence decision (after a little umming and aahing).  :)

Ask me again in a week's time, once I've started cutting resin. My opinions can, and may, be subject to change...  ;)

Iain

Cutting up the forward fuselage...

The new extension behind the cockpit nicely follows a panel line on the Revell kit - so a case of using a razor saw to cut about 1mm from that line - followed with some 'vac-form' style sanding of the cut face working back to the panel lines, and ensuring a perfectly square and true mating surface for the new plug.

Before the cutting process I glued the rear upper joint of the two halves together, along with the underside joint from the nose gear bay back, with Revell Contacta Cement. This ws to give the forward fuselage some stability during the cutting process and to aid getting the rear surface perfectly trued...

48b427_e054b3d8029a4400b4d31eb9ce0f16bb~

48b427_19de1dd3c4f54b36a2422fc1809d8cf6~

48b427_3f36c42df91a44c0bda25fcbab01e214~

Next up - the underside.

Because of the draw angles there is virtually no detail on the underside of the Revell front fuselage - no biggie - and we're going to replace a large chunk of it anyway...

48b427_c2a3805a0fa14dfa8a9ba12754800ede~

And Tim's replacement section placed 'in position':

48b427_13b00fd7936048178cd51060b9feca4f~

Note - the above photos taken before rear section removed.

The distance across the infill section was measured with digital calipers ready to mark out for cutting. A fresh scalpel blade being used to mark out:

48b427_8d56dcf949234518aabe82d796f750bf~

And the area preliminarily scribed at 31mm across - allowing a small file back margin when doing final fitting:

48b427_a83ea5aad7f047949637d9f2357ebe5f~

Tomorrow I cut the section out and trial fit the insert...

Have fun!

Iain

OK - so I *was* supposed to go to bed - but thought "I wonder how well the Aires tub fits"...

Well, beautifully as it happens. Straight in - sitting on the Revell location tabs - walk in the park!

And then, well, I'm a kid, so I wanted to see what the nose looked like:

48b427_1b3144d7654d4491bf8d0b383c29e9e1~

48b427_b9426ae7dc084ee283689d2e9a692c35~

And - would you look at that. Sexy, or what?  :)

48b427_2a92c0ec1b2e43108009013200f5f499~

Interestingly I've been taking quick snaps with my phone for these today - using ambient light.

A lot quicker than getting the tripod/DSLR out - and I think the results are good enough for this...

Right, zzzeds...

Iain

Ian, I found when I did my GR.1 last year with the Aires pit there was interference with the bottom of the cockpit and the top of the Nose wheel bay. This is a very exciting build and most wanted, hanging on with anticipation for your posts.......

Edited by Stevepd

Loving this, Iain. 

I have the Revell F2 kit and was one day planning to make an F3 out of it, but seeing this (and if it comes readily available) I think it a better option to be honest. 

Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone enlighten me as to why the fuselage was longer on the F3? I know the nose is obviously different due to radar fit etc, but why the plug behind the cockpit? 

yup , more fuel , there was a proposal around the time of the GR4 program  to carry out this upgrade to all the RAF  Tornado fleet  to increase their  range , but it was deemed to expensive , C'est La Vie! 

The rear fuselage plug was to allow Rolls Royce to add an additional compressor stage to the RB199 to help with the high altitude performance, spoiler , it didn't work , It was reported that F3s with a full missile load and full fuel tanks reportedly had to to go the partial Afterburner to stay with the Russian Bears when intercepting them 

Nevertheless the F3 is the best looking Tornado IMHO

4 hours ago, jenshb said:

I believe the extension was to house more fuel and allow two SkyFlash missiles to be carried in tandem and staggered side by side.

3 hours ago, Scotsman said:

yup , more fuel , there was a proposal around the time of the GR4 program  to carry out this upgrade to all the RAF  Tornado fleet  to increase their  range , but it was deemed to expensive , C'est La Vie! 

The rear fuselage plug was to allow Rolls Royce to add an additional compressor stage to the RB199 to help with the high altitude performance, spoiler , it didn't work , It was reported that F3s with a full missile load and full fuel tanks reportedly had to to go the partial Afterburner to stay with the Russian Bears when intercepting them 

Nevertheless the F3 is the best looking Tornado IMHO

Thanks, guys.