Test Build: 1:32 Flying Start Models Tornado F Mk.3 Conversion (Revell base)

Iain

OK - I know I have a lot of other things going on - but I've wanted to do a model of this subject since the '80s - and this will be a relatively 'quick-build' conversion using some test prints from our very own Tim Perry - aka @wunwinglow

48b427_4554953a6cb64cecaa847f7239c9be25~

Please note THESE ARE TEST PRINTs and the purpose of the build is to trial the conversion and give any necessary feedback to Tim.

Tim has kindly agreed to let me share the test build here - but please note these are not 'production' items yet, or a complete set - and Tim is still to decide if/how he wants to market these - so please don't hassle him just yet!!  :)

However, please feel free to chip in with feedback/thoughts/interest in this thread so that Tim can evaluate response.

I know he's spent a lot of time on these perfecting the shapes in Rhino - and printing using two technologies, using the benefits of each to maximum effect.

48b427_2eee6cf5a450497ea9f2afd7ff86629a~

I'll post some more detailed images over the weekend, but the larger parts are printed in HIPS (so fully compatible with normal kit plastic) using FDM machines.  Detail parts are printed using the far more expensive, but far higher resolution, SLA resin process. 2250 Tanks are vacced in female moulds using a very clever process that results in the best vac quality I've seen.

Parts breakdown etc. may vary from what you see here if they become commercially available.

Colour scheme on this one - I'm still pondering - but leaning towards 23, or 25 Squadrons at present.

Will start cutting up one of the spare Revell kits at the weekend - and have a few detail parts on the way in the post.

Photo below is Tim's 'test mule' using earlier versions of his parts that he's kindly lent me for comparison/reference:

48b427_650049165bc347bc87e0646974d2bf1d~

Blue skies!

Iain

Hi Iain

3 hours ago, Iain said:

OK - I know I have a lot of other things going on - but I've wanted to do a model of this subject since the '80s - and this will be a relatively 'quick-build' conversion using some test prints from our very own Tim Perry - aka @wunwinglow

48b427_4554953a6cb64cecaa847f7239c9be25~

Please note THESE ARE TEST PRINTs and the purpose of the build is to trial the conversion and give any necessary feedback to Tim.

Tim has kindly agreed to let me share the test build here - but please note these are not 'production' items yet, or a complete set - and Tim is still to decide if/how he wants to market these - so please don't hassle him just yet!!  :)

However, please feel free to chip in with feedback/thoughts/interest in this thread so that Tim can evaluate response.

I know he's spent a lot of time on these perfecting the shapes in Rhino - and printing using two technologies, using the benefits of each to maximum effect.

48b427_2eee6cf5a450497ea9f2afd7ff86629a~

I'll post some more detailed images over the weekend, but the larger parts are printed in HIPS (so fully compatible with normal kit plastic) using FDM machines.  Detail parts are printed using the far more expensive, but far higher resolution, SLA resin process. 2250 Tanks are vacced in female moulds using a very clever process that results in the best vac quality I've seen.

Parts breakdown etc. may vary from what you see here if they become commercially available.

Colour scheme on this one - I'm still pondering - but leaning towards 23, or 25 Squadrons at present.

Will start cutting up one of the spare Revell kits at the weekend - and have a few detail parts on the way in the post.

Photo below is Tim's 'test mule' using earlier versions of his parts that he's kindly lent me for comparison/reference:

48b427_650049165bc347bc87e0646974d2bf1d~

Blue skies!

Iain

just a heads up on one or two points I discovered during my build of the F3.

The fuselage is different from the GR1/4 so the panel lines are not in the same place and need a bit of adjustment. The fuselage also needs to be rounded a bit towards the radome .I am not sure if this is a difference between the F3 and Gr1 or if it is just a Revell interpretation. I am sure you have the rest of the differences sorted.

Cheers

Nick

Delighted to see you doing this Iain, it will be a great shop window for Tim and all the research and effort that I know he has put into producing the conversion. I won’t be in any sort of position like Nick has just done to offer technical comments because I’m a complete ignoramus about Tornadoes BUT I have recently bought one with the full intention of doing a 56 Squadron F3 so I’m in the market for the conversion when it’s ready and I’ll be taking notes all the way along. 

Edited by mozart

I can't be the only one Iain that looking at those parts who is practically salivating  at the prospect of  getting my hands on this set , i

It looks a superb addition to the Revell kit , and having spent way too long scratch building an F3 many years ago the chance to use a properly constructed conversion is so  tempting.. 

Tell  Tim he has one more customer patiently waiting  fro the set to be released   

Hi all - pleased to see there's some interest in this...  :)

Tim really has done a wonderful job on these parts - this just looks 'right' to my eyes and captures the shapes beautifully, as well as being well engineered.

Back in the day, late '80s and earlier '90s, the F3 simulators were amongst a number of types that I used to write the AP updates for (Technical Author, Rediffusion Simulation). At the time I had full sets of aircraft APs in the cupboards - I really wish I still had them!

Was also a civvy in part-time uniform at the time (RAFVR(T)), so my path with the F3 kept crossing; a number of summer camps at RAF Coningsby (one week managing the AEF Chippy Flying - from a caravan and deck-chair near the runway), and 15 days at RAF Akrotiri (while 29 Sqn there on APC) - so I have to build at least one F3!

I did start one in about 1990 - the original Revell F2 release with the DJ Parkins/Flightpath detail set/F3 conversion - but that's long-since been 'file thirteened'.

Truth is - there are quite a few I'd like to do...

I started cutting plastic yesterday - will try and take some photos later - but there will be a limit on some things until the Aires GR1 cockpit and afterburner castings arrive. I'll be 'converting' the resin cockpit to represent the F3 as best I can.

For anyone that's not aware, Tim was the man behind PP Aeroparts - one of the UK's aftermarket pioneers in the '80s and '90s, with a more recent career in rapid prototyping/3D modelling/commercial 3D printing. He knows his stuff, as well as having a good eye for shape!

Have fun!

Iain

11 hours ago, Iain said:

For anyone that's not aware, Tim was the man behind PP Aeroparts - one of the UK's aftermarket pioneers in the '80s and '90s, with a more recent career in rapid prototyping/3D modelling/commercial 3D printing. He knows his stuff, as well as having a good eye for shape!

I didn’t know that. I have a Firefly kit and Sea fury upgrade in the stash!

I was following Tim’s progress with this, it’ll be good to see it take shape in your hands.
No pressure. 

Mike

Edited by twentyten

On 8/14/2020 at 4:44 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Iain

just a heads up on one or two points I discovered during my build of the F3.

The fuselage is different from the GR1/4 so the panel lines are not in the same place and need a bit of adjustment. The fuselage also needs to be rounded a bit towards the radome .I am not sure if this is a difference between the F3 and Gr1 or if it is just a Revell interpretation. I am sure you have the rest of the differences sorted.

Cheers

Nick

I suspect that is a Revellism.... The airframe is not altered in profile up to the skirt around the base of the radome, as far as I am aware....

Tim