Thanks guys.  It's really been more fun than you should be able to have with your clothes on :)   I'm *such* a nerd...

Hope you'll enjoy reading and learning about these historic jets as much as I have.  Interestingly, just this very evening, I've connected with the son of the (now, sadly, deceased) crew chief whose name appeared on Olds' "Scat XXVII" - SSG Jarman.  He's got a very cool certificate with goofy pre-Photoshop "Photoshopped" markings superimposed on a photo of an F-4C for 64-0829 and all the crew, including his dad, the armament guys, etc.  Hoping to get a scan of that for the instruction sheet.  Say what you will about FB, but I've gotten some *amazing* research material from various groups and individuals, and met some really incredible folks with an interest in the stuff we all love.

Edited by Jennings Heilig
11 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Thanks guys.  It's really been more fun than you should be able to have with your clothes on :)   I'm *such* a nerd...

Hope you'll enjoy reading and learning about these historic jets as much as I have.  Interestingly, just this very evening, I've connected with the son of the (now, sadly, deceased) crew chief whose name appeared on Olds' "Scat XXVII" - SSG Jarman.  He's got a very cool certificate with goofy pre-Photoshop "Photoshopped" markings superimposed on a photo of an F-4C for 64-0829 and all the crew, including his dad, the armament guys, etc.  Hoping to get a scan of that for the instruction sheet.  Say what you will about FB, but I've gotten some *amazing* research material from various groups and individuals, and met some really incredible folks with an interest in the stuff we all love.

I second the use of FB as a research tool.  There are so many pages out there dedicated to aircraft or military units that are loaded with vets.  I've found that most members are more than willing to help with arcane, nerd questions.   They actually seem flattered that some people have in interest in "their" aircraft, helo, tank, etc.  You'll see a lot of pictures and info that will never make it's way into books or the internet.   

Used for purposed of good instead of evil, Social Media definitely has it's upside.