9 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

A good idea in theory, but literally no two of them are alike.  Some of them have off-white numbers, some have medium grey numbers, and some have a mixture of the two, sometimes different from the left side to the right side, and different yet again depending on when the photo was taken.  The amount of touching up, squadron swapping (squadron swinging?), overpainting, etc. on these birds is amazing.

OK, didn't realise they were that different.  I guess most people would want to build Olds' aircraft, with the aircraft with the most "interesting" finish second.

Hi Jennings

Any idea of the intake color. I know later aircraft had the first part of the intakes in the cameo color but I suspect how and when these aircraft were painted the intakes were left white. Any photos confirm this?

BTW great decal sheet supported by excellent research.

Edited by Cheetah11
Additional text
3 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Jennings

Any idea of the intake color. I know later aircraft had the first part of the intakes in the cameo color but I suspect how and when these aircraft were painted the intakes were left white. Any photos confirm this?

BTW great decal sheet supported by excellent research.

Thanks!  Couldn't possibly have done it without Chris Mayer.  

Re the intakes - almost impossible to see in most cases, but these birds were all delivered in Light Gull Gray over white, so the intakes were all white.  I doubt they painted anything inside the intakes at the depot (most likely Clark AB, possibly Tainan AB, Taiwan).  I'll have a look to see if I can see anything.

If I am understanding the discussion correctly regarding painting the inside of the intake, if you look at page 9 of this discussion, Finn posted a video clip that opens with a shot of an f-4 from that time and you can see inside the intake and it looks like it is painted to me.  Also in the photo collection one of the posters above shared, i think there are a few shots that reflect the same.  I noticed because i was trying to figure out how do i paint that.  I am going to do seemless intakes but how do you make a descent mask that stops a scale 6 or 7 inches inside the intake?  I might just try to control angle of airbrush and stuff it with some Kleenex.  But i think i did find evidence that paint was inside the intake at least back a few inches.  Maybe it was just overspray as the shop painted it?

Thanks for posting those Jari.  All F-4s (at least all I’ve ever seen) have the local camouflage color on the variable inlet ramp back to the joint where it hinged, with white (or dirty white) aft of that.  What could and did vary was the treatment of the outboard portion of the intake walls, which is almost impossible to see in most photos.  In the pic I posted, you can see where the inside of the “roof” of the intake painted back about 12”, just about even with where the vari ramp ends.

As a general rule, I don’t think anyone is going to ding you for painting your model like that, unless you somehow find a photo of your specific aircraft that proves otherwise.

Edited by Jennings Heilig