I've been wanting to do Operation Bolo and other 8th TFW birds *right* for a very long time.  There's been so much inaccurate information published about these birds, which isn't surprising since there are so few photos of them to verify things against.  But thanks to some help from some very knowledgeable folks and a lot of digging, I think we're going to make a good dent in it.  I've discovered a few little nitnoid details that nobody else seems to have noticed before, in addition to the positively *wild* and staggering array of camouflage variations they carried.  There are lots of colors on these birds that have never been done accurately, including the very dull yellow (probably thin paint applied over the green camo) name and rescue markings.  You could really go to town on the paint chipping, staining, fading, and touchup painting on these airplanes.  They were downright nasty looking!  And the variety of schemes seen on the 270 gallon wing tanks must be seen to be believed.  You literally almost can't do them wrong.  From pure white to almost completely dark green, and everything in between.

Here's a very preliminary take on the appearance of 64-0829 as she appeared when Col. Olds and 1 Lt Stephen Croker bagged a pair of MiG-17s with AIM-7s when they were flying as Tampa 01 on 20 May 67.

Lots more to come on this.

CymDDu.png

Nice one....thought of doing a  'hinge set'?  They are a royal pain to rescribe.  Take a look at the ones on the Phantom fuse side by the flap....You could do a range of hinges in varying forms and sizes.  

Keep up the great work anyhoo

5 minutes ago, jenshb said:

I see you've drawn it with the "donkey dick"...new info?

The drawing is from May 1967, by which time most if not all F-4Cs in the combat zone would have received the Itek/Applied Technology AN/ALR-25 RHAWS in the reinstated radome blister and tail fin bullet (and AN/ALR-26 LWR stubby blade antenna under the nose barrel). Installation of this gear began in November 1966.

Bolo was in January 1967.

Tony 

Loving this Jennings. I recently found out one of my coworker's Dads was an F-4 driver, and he had a Mig kill. To boot, his kill plane still exists (albeit in different markings) on display in Rhode Island or something in the northeast. A fascinating time in the battle for air superiority over Vietnam.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

The drawing is from May 1967, by which time most if not all F-4Cs in the combat zone would have received the Itek/Applied Technology AN/ALR-25 RHAWS in the reinstated radome blister and tail fin bullet (and AN/ALR-26 LWR stubby blade antenna under the nose barrel). Installation of this gear began in November 1966.

Tony 

Ah, I didn't know the dates and assumed it was during Bolo due to lack of kill markings on the splitter plates.  Were these removed after being applied then?

Most F-4Cs were build and delivered from McDD with the donkey dick.  I've not (yet) been able to figure out exactly which ones had the F-4J style radome without the fairing, but there were a fair number of them in Vietnam, and all that I've found are FY63 birds.  I haven't seen an FY64 bird that didn't have it fitted.

OK, so the aircraft above is not Olds' aircraft from Bolo? 

Slightly off topic, but what was the purpose of the red stripe around the radome panel line seen on many F-4Cs?  Not shown on this illustration, so assuming it would not be present.

6 hours ago, Tony T said:

Tony 

Sorry, AN/APR-25/26. 

Tony 

1 hour ago, jenshb said:

OK, so the aircraft above is not Olds' aircraft from Bolo? 

Slightly off topic, but what was the purpose of the red stripe around the radome panel line seen on many F-4Cs?  Not shown on this illustration, so assuming it would not be present.

No, this is the one he got kills in on 20 May 67.  

7 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Loving this Jennings. I recently found out one of my coworker's Dads was an F-4 driver, and he had a Mig kill. To boot, his kill plane still exists (albeit in different markings) on display in Rhode Island or something in the northeast. 

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis,

Any idea where that F-4 is on display?  If it's not too far away, I'd love to go check it out.

Regards,

John In MA