Me 109 G-2 "Augsburg Eagle" 1/24 Trumpeter

aquatarkus10

14 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Wow, George a few of those photos look like a real 109 being restored in some shop somewhere. Bravo!

THOR    :ph34r:

Thanks Thor for the appreciation of this project and the compliments for the execution of the same
George

12 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

When you work around WWII fighters that are being restored, the one question that is always asked is "When will it fly", so hear goes, When will it fly?really she looks that good.

Thanks for your attention and for your time. I hope that the Gustav will take off early and go to fight in the North where his squadron are waiting for him.

George

• 2 months later...

Hi to all,

I managed to complete the first part of the model or the 'tricycle' of the Me 109 G-2 'Yellow 12':

IMG_1120.JPG

- realization of the hinge for opening / closing the bonnet

the sketch:

IMG_0612.JPG

materials used:  metal sheet, self-adhesive aluminum tape brass tube (Trumpeter):

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

execution of the work:  I prepare the loops for the support of the central pin which must be fixed in a consequential alternating right / left position (contrary to what was done for the lower calender where the hinge was fixed with the loops in a straight consequential position) :

IMG_0632.JPG

- removing the original support :

IMG_0623.JPG

- final results:

IMG_0636.JPG

- replacing the radiator grille:

IMG_0907.JPG

- final results: preview

IMG_0948.JPG

- coloring and dynamic 'dirt' of the spinner (Contact Résine) on electric cutter operated at low speed and sprayed with a mixture of dark gray and light brown (mud)     diluted to 75% with 1.5 bar pressure and 2mm nozzle:

IMG_1043.JPG

- final risults: preview

forum18.jpg

- pre-coloring (dark gray background ):

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

- transparent coating, riveting, coloring and modification: opening / closing canopy (internal and external) scratch building details:

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

-moving parts completed :

IMG_0979.JPG

- liquid masking of the model (latex):

IMG_0995.JPG

- replacement of original wheels with optional resin set (Contact Résine), detail, application of color decals and final gallery of the session:

forum15.jpg

forum14.jpg

forum4.jpg

forum19.jpg

in summary this is the work carried out so far:

compose_1.jpg

forumupdate_1.jpg

for more info & pics :APM

That's all.
Thanks for your attention and for your time.

George

Well George, what can I say mate....that is absolutely inspiring!  Thank you for showing us what/how you got this far.  Your paintjob looks so real. 

You have a real gift that goes beyond modelling.  Being able to have something look so realistic takes being artistic!  You have captured everything so beautifully.  I am going to 'borrow' some of your ideas when I get back to my 24th Mosquito

Thanks for taking all that time to post this, I have learned some great tips

Cheers Anthony