Me 109 G-2 "Augsburg Eagle" 1/24 Trumpeter

aquatarkus10

Hi to all and happy holidays to those who can do them.

Today I want to share the 1/24 scale Me 109 G2 kit produced several years ago by Trumpeter.

vNF8Hmg.jpg

The kit (N. 02406), comes with a large series of sprues both normal and "clear" (ie offering the possibility to the model maker to be able to assemble the fuselage in "sight" in order to see the engine and the cockpit) adequately detailed (if compared to the time it was produced in 2001)

kMjbKn3.jpg

The model is equipped with some interesting accessories such as the Verlinden detail set concerning the whole "ammo" part completely neglected on the original, the cockpit both in the cockpit and on the sides and finally, I still have to understand how to assemble them (if anything 'idea) some small detail to apply on the DB 605 (which, however, I will have to detail in the cables and pipes).
The set consists of finely detailed resin parts and photo-etched parts:

CwUi1V3.jpg

g9tSzzk.jpg

E2FCqTv.jpg

GetA0ZW.jpg

Speaking of etchings, I bought the seat belts from Eduard and while I was there, I also found some beautiful stencils suitable for the Tumpeter G-2 kit.

The 13mm MG 131 machine guns from the Master (Air) in brass and superbly turned :

M6S9jvw.jpg

AirScale : instrument panels decals & tools:

Uc3K1qe.jpg

Lastly, I bought the Techmod decals set for the chosen version:

Bf 109 G-2 / R6, "Yellow 12", Oblt. Heinrich Ehrler, 6 / JG 5, Petsamo, Finland, March 1943 and alternatively, "Yellow 3", pilot (and friend of Ehrler) Fw. Rudolf Muller, 6 / JG 5, Petsamo, Finland, March 1943 as both very particular and intriguing based on winter cam.

SONiMhm.jpg

image posted for discussion and historical reference only

VXQieiR.jpg

XOgK6hV.jpg

LaJyp1v.jpg

Here, however, if we compare the original photo of Ehrler's  Me 109 with the decals provided by Techmod, we can see that the abbreviation EN + EL has been proposed on Muller's 109 and this generates doubts that should not exist. Fortunately, there does not seem to be much to argue, Techmod has obviously (in good faith) wrong with the indications. What do you think about it?

Thanks for your interest and see you next time.
George

This looks cool George! :popcorn:

Regarding the inconsistency between the photo above and Techmod's scheme, here are some other photos of Ehrler's yellow 12.

ehrler-plane1.jpg

ehrler-plane2.jpg

Note particularly the kill markings on the rudder and the camo pattern. These do not correspond with the photo above so it seems Techmod are correct and the photo above is probably Muller's yellow 3 (although they have the canopy frame colour wrong).

Edited by turbo

14 hours ago, turbo said:

This looks cool George! :popcorn:

Regarding the inconsistency between the photo above and Techmod's scheme, here are some other photos of Ehrler's yellow 12.

ehrler-plane1.jpg

ehrler-plane2.jpg

Note particularly the kill markings on the rudder and the camo pattern. These do not correspond with the photo above so it seems Techmod are correct and the photo above is probably Muller's yellow 3 (although they have the canopy frame colour wrong).

Thanks for the comment  and additional photos. You are right!

The author of photo n.9  (source Pinterest) probably made a mistake and improperly attributed the subject to Ehrler.
So we have finally solved the question once and for all: Herler's Me 109 had no EN + EL signature (as correctly indicated in the Techmod decals to which I apologize for the unintentionally raised doubt) which instead belonged to Rudolf Muller who we can see portrayed in the following group photo:

5FoTSOz.jpg

A photo of the three pilot friends from left to right: Theodor Weissenberger, Heinrich Ehrler and Rudolf Muller.

Between legend and reality in the myth of the lost heroes:

On 4 April 1945 it seems that Ehrler (with 204 kills) on his Me 262, after having claimed the shooting down of two B-17s, now devoid of ammunition, threw himself against a third B-17, ramming it but before this extreme and fatal gesture apparently greeted his friend Theo (Weissenberger) by radio with this final sentence: "Theo, this is Heinrich. I shot down two bombers and I have no more ammunition. I'm going to ram. Auf Wiedersehen, see you in Valhalla !
Do you have any comments on this?
George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all

let's start work on the Gustav 2 :  In this session, having in mind to leave the covers of the DB 605 open, I will start by removing the extractors:

QA3H1py.jpg

everyone has their own method. I am happy with the help of a small electric cutter with variable speed and with the right accessories I can say that I get excellent results.

lG2f9pl.jpg

complete the work by sanding finely with this tool:

DHQidt8.jpg

grouting with Mr Surfacer 1200 :

du2m53l.jpg

8CRl0wA.jpg

preshading (Vallejo Air black) :

us3KYs5.jpg

yellow / zinc green color: XF-4 Tamya :

9n2MyXg.jpg

84QIC1x.jpg

coating of internal panels with MWP procedure:

LjXw8bv.jpg

CDnFDNC.jpg

07ZuHjD.jpg

XjjBmgg.jpg

TLMd32c.jpg

VUCPGLQ.jpg

PaooJj9.jpg

That is all for the moment. thanks for your attention.

George

On 8/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, Antonio Argudo said:

great work  but yellow Zinc chromate  on a german plane?  they used RLM 02  which was a greyish color, cheers

On 8/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, Antonio Argudo said:

:

Hi Antonio,

thanks for your intervention and congratulations for your Me 109, wonderful work.

For the zinc color, it is only a primer given before going over everything after the correction of the calenders in the classic RLM 02 1941 which is a little different from what you see in your photo:

AQYGkMQ.jpg

regards

Hi to all

In today's session we will deal with the correction of the calenders:
those of Gustav did not end with a straight cut but shaped at the shoulder on which they leaned.
This means that I will have to fix:

tPYoKGY.jpg

Fqzghch.jpg

P7Ib3ic.jpg

LS0Y1cm.jpg

nbK5zGy.jpg

Ftk6yci.jpg

EXH1rnk.jpg

W9WwZdT.jpg

Z2zlyeB.jpg

z2OVUZv.jpg

reconstruction of the support shoulder of the correct cowling:

WWUmaEP.jpg

CkUfEUN.jpg

1wBhVuD.jpg

SsbFBrE.jpg

sob2s73.jpg

Thanks for your attention

George

55 minutes ago, aquatarkus10 said:

Hi Antonio,

thanks for your intervention and congratulations for your Me 109, wonderful work.

For the zinc color, it is only a primer given before going over everything after the correction of the calenders in the classic RLM 02 1941 which is a little different from what you see in your photo:

thanks George, true, a second  version of RLM 02, is that green version, keep the good work,

cheers

45863724-2464774486871864-94038066709764

11988637-959168697459847-589776173015996

Edited by Antonio Argudo

6 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

one note, about interior cowling colors, steel parts were not primed with 02, so the panels for the guns were unpainted, you can see in this picture,

cheers

Messerschmitt-Bf-109-G6-R3-RHAF-Szazadpa

Here I agree and I thank you for the clarification and the photo even if it refers to a G-6 like the one you post below only for the next session:

99NVGV5.jpg

cheers