Quinta Studio - 3D printed interior for NEW P-51D, Su-25, F-16C

Jan_G

4 hours ago, ericg said:

Seconded only to the AK Interactive fiasco of the last few days, this is possibly the saddest thing I have read about our hobby in my 10 years of being active in it. 

Do we not appreciate skill and talent anymore? How about we just forget about entering models that have been lovingly crafted and presented and just chuck pre made die cast models on tables, with the winner decided by who was able to get theirs out of the box quickest? 

As LSP-K2 divined, I was being provocative, but also apparently it hit quite the nerve if my post has been compared to commercially exploiting the holocaust. Seriously?

I'd only note that your reaction indicates that you view modeling as a competitive sport and not as a hobby, and that clearly this product somehow threatens your conception of your rank in that arena so dramatically that you could only compare it to the holocaust. 

It's like having a dog for companionship or being a dog trainer. I just want to have a dog as a dog. 

4 hours ago, DonH said:

It seems to me that if enough modellers are outraged and don't like this product, then the company will go out of business due to lack of sales. If they continue to thrive, that may tell us something about many of the opinions expressed in this thread.

Like it? Buy it

Don't like it? Then don't buy it.

I agree wholeheartedly. The market decides absolutely all values. There is simply no other way to judge the value of something apart from whether it sells well or not. Verily, the entire notion of human value is beholden to the almighty market. Integrity, skill, aesthetics, judgment, taste, cower ye in the face of the purchasing decisions of Joe modeler. Bow down supplicant ones etc.

If one wants to scratch-build a cockpit with one’s own hands instead of using aftermarket, it is entirely one’s choice. However, all aftermarket is also created by human hands. Computer softwares, 3D printers, photo-etch machines, lathes, milling machines, chisels, scalpels, tweezers, whatever, are only tools in the hands of a human. “Aftermarket” means only that these creators choose to share the result of their work with others. Everyone can access the same tools and nothing stops anyone from doing the same or better. 
Radu

Well I got a set for the Tamiya 1/48 P-38 and I’m amazed at the detail of the set. In a larger scale, I’d probably have had a go at painting and detailing the cockpit myself whilst using a Yahu or Eduard Löök panel with Airscale Placards Lead wire, plasticard and whatnot. But in  the smaller scale? I couldn’t even come close. So I will unashamedly use this set for the P-38 and will buy anything of the like for my smaller scale stuff. I have never entered a competition and likely never will, I build for myself and my enjoyment alone. Though I do occasionally share photos here and there. In every hobby or walk of life you will get Purists and Charlatans (myself in this case most likely). We are human, we won’t all agree on 100% of stuff 100% of the time but such is life. I won’t fall out with anyone over it, a simple shrug of the shoulders and move on. If it’s been a tough day at work, possibly a middle finger instead of the shrug of the shoulders but that’s about it. I will still come and revel at the photos posted by the masters of the arts here. Be prompted to try several techniques myself but after near 40 years of living with myself I have a damned good idea of what I can and can’t achieve (this doesn’t mean I won’t push myself to try and learn or adapt a technique for my own use/skill level). A paint job replicating the detail in these sets is way beyond me. I’d rather use the set on an interior and concentrate what meagre skills I do possess on the outward appearance. 

Radu, this is only partly true as this stays very theoretical. Actually, this is also a matter of resources you can invest in a modelling project. I'm curious knowing the proportion of 'Joe the modeller' people who can or want to get a lathe or 3D printer for their Sunday afternoon modelling projects.... :hmmm:

15 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Radu, this is only partly true as this stays very theoretical. Actually, this is also a matter of resources you can invest in a modelling project. I'm curious knowing the proportion of 'Joe the modeller' people who can or want to get a lathe or 3D printer for their Sunday afternoon modelling projects.... :hmmm:

We often choose expedience over effort. That is the crux of this whole issue. Same applies to everything in our lives. This aftermarket makes life easier, but it is not compulsory. One can always choose to do it the hard way if that is what one wants. This aftermarket was created by a person using tools. Anyone can do that. 
Radu 

Aren't all the model parts attached to the sprues pre-made for us to cut off and then put together and paint with pre-made paints?. You know Part No 1 goes on Part No 34.........clean the resin....... spray FS324987567 on top. Or would an airbrushed finish earn less points than a really well done brush paint finish?

and the rest is up to us.  

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

No, but it's all over the rest of the modelling web, and most especially on Facebook. I haven't seen it myself, but apparently they use some pretty repugnant holocaust video and imagery in their latest marketing campaign.

Kev

OK. Thanks, Kev. I found a five page "discussion" on a site called RPG.net, and am currently reading all of it.

I ordered 2 sets for the F-16. I think they look pretty cool. I noticed one or two things missing that I’ll have to scratch, depending on which block I am doing.

They’ll sell a bunch of these I bet.

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Yeah but I see no interest when my finished cockpit looks exactly the same as my fellow modellers’. All I have to do is to open my wallet and shell out the $.

Where’s the fun? What’s the hobby?

Give me back the old-school Monogram inscribed Instrument panels. At least I’d feel I achieved something when I finish painting one of them.

19 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed. To me this will at last allow to get detailed instrument panels for sixties and seventies jets as they had tons of knobs and switches with white stenciling everywhere. And this white stenciling has always been a nightmare to be reproduced correctly. 

Agreed. Besides stenciling, a lot of aircraft had hand-painted notations, labels and markings, done to different standards. You see a lot of it in Second World War aircraft, particularly of the German variety. It’s extremely difficult to replicate, especially in areas dense with instruments and switches. I’d be glad if printing technology could fill that void. 

Adam